eBay plus express postage

An eBay Plus metro buyer can now now get free express postage on any of my eBay plus listings even though I have $12.20 express postage listed (Australia Post cost). Ebay pays you a token $4 towards your express postage. I have removed Express Postage from all my listings as I don't want to be $8.20 out of pocket each Express Postage transaction.

This is the first time I'm aware that eBay can override your postage. Anybody experienced similar or have any suggestions?

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

There have been a couple of other topics created on here to discuss this as quite a few sellers encountered the same thing.

If you have a search through this selling forum they should be easy to find.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

Yes mate I got burnt for this too recently, Offer express, but set your processing time to 2 business days, I see what you sell I assume you pay $2.20, postage paid imprint or tracked letter for postage?

The policy WAS supposed to work if normal postage is $8.95 and express is $12.20 you supposed to set your express postage upgrade to $4 and the buyer get it for free express. But now its for all express under $15
Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

Express prepaid C5 envelopes are $72.65 per 10 pack. About $4.80 per envelope more than standard prepaid C5.

Express prepaid B4 envelopes are $86.30 per 10 pack. About $4.40 more than standard prepaid C4.

If the OP chooses to send 'free' by standard post, then adds the entire cost of express if that is chosen smacks of postage piracy. And if the entire cost of express is in the realm of $12 they are not quoting for letters but for parcels. Which start at $8.95.

I can understand them ratchetting up express costs to avoid people using it, while still retaining the 'advantages' of Plus, but it also behoves the seller to keep up with eBay policies in this regard.

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

If the OP chooses to send 'free' by standard post, then adds the entire cost of express if that is chosen smacks of postage piracy. And if the entire cost of express is in the realm of $12 they are not quoting for letters but for parcels. Which start at $8.95.

One could also assume they are actually providing free standard postage, and not free express, if one were in the mood to be a little more charitable in their assumptions. It is possible, just rare. 

Also, pre-paid express envelopes are for documents only, which once included things like CDs and USB sticks, but doesn't anymore. 

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

Fair enough.

I only send 'documents' and I don't offer express as an option. I only use it if specifically requested, which happens about twice a year.

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

I'm finding express super popular at the moment, I'm getting more choosing that than I normally would the week or two before Christmas (which also saw spikes in express being chosen) but I charge for both standard and express. Currently there is an $8+ difference in the cost of my default postage and express, since I use letter post for regular mail, but obviously can only use parcel post for express.

Which is not wholly relevent to much of the points raised in the thread, except the increased popularity of express in current conditions (if being experienced by other sellers) could seriously be a killer for those who wanted to have Plus items but use letter post. 

If eBay will contribute $4 an unlimited number of times for other sellers, perhaps it's not too much to ask them to re-assess their unwillingness to contribute $8 even once for other sellers. (Yar, I can hear the laughing from here Smiley Very Happy ). 

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

Smiley Very HappySmiley Very HappySmiley LOL

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

In my experience it really is documents only, if you send a CD or cord or something to the thickness of 20mm, its a risk cause you can get slacked with underpaid or no delivery.
Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

@danieh_6 wrote:
In my experience it really is documents only, if you send a CD or cord or something to the thickness of 20mm, its a risk cause you can get slacked with underpaid or no delivery.

I only send 'documents'

However, what is good for untracked should also be good for tracked or express. They go through the same AP systems I would imagine. It's just that some get pushed through the system 'faster' or get scanned occasionally.

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply