ebay is greedy! Just LIKE the goverrrnmmment

yl34469
Community Member

Item sold for 750A$

Initially, only 730.20A$ appears in my paypal account, 19.8A$ disappeared.

Even if charged me according to the list selling price 750A$, transaction Fee 10% should be 75A$

Now besides that 19.8A$ ebay/Paypal took me another $81.68 AUD

So totally I was charged 101.48A$+ for this single transaction.

And, I didn’t use ebay’s posting service.

To sell an item on XianYu (meaning 'idle fish', a similar platform ) the overall fee is ZERO (for casual seller, not store)

(In long term run, you will down.)

The help system is a pain in the ace(for AI scrutiny's sake), it is particularly designed to make people hard to communicate with them. This is not smart, it's cunning.

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

eBay fees are 10.9% on total amount buyer paid.

PayPal fees are 2.6% + 30c

image host
Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

Have you looked for your Promotional Offers in Seller Hub or at the bottom of your My eBay before you list?

For over a month they have been running a promotional offer if you list on the weekend where it only costs you

a dollar if the item sells,(it only appears just after midnight on Saturday morning and stays until midnight Sunday).

All you have to do is click on the accept offer if it appears before you list an item,(some people don't get the offer

but most low volume sellers seem to.

To check to see if you have been given those offers in the past just go to the Promotional Offers and it should have a history or expired tab that you can click on which will show previous offers) good.gif

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Like others have said you have been charged the correct fee amount.

I'm not happy about the fees either but if you want to sell on ebay then you'll have to pay fees.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

@yl34469 wrote:

Item sold for 750A$

. . . . . transaction Fee 10% should be 75A$

Now besides that 19.8A$ ebay/Paypal took me another $81.68 AUD

So totally I was charged 101.48A$+ for this single transaction.

the final value fee on the total transaction amount is 9.9%, but you then pay 10% GST on the fvf which is why the fee on your $750 item is more than $75 i.e. 10.89% of $750 = $81.68

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

My fees range from 11-14%, by the time everything + GST is taken into consideration.

Just allow for that type of fee range when listing here and price accordingly.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

@yl34469 wrote:

Item sold for 750A$

Initially, only 730.20A$ appears in my paypal account, 19.8A$ disappeared.

It didn't disappear, PayPal take their fee out of the payment before crediting it to your account. $19.80 would be the 30c flagfall plus 2.6%.

The remaining fee ($81.68) is solely eBay's cost.

I presume there was a reason you chose eBay over XianYu? (I ask this pointedly, because many times people see value in one thing over another, but don't want to actually pay for that value. Like when someone messages a seller and says "I can get this item for 50% less at K Mart / from China", or something along those lines. The obvious response is always to query why they don't purchase (or in this case use) the cheaper option). 

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Yes, it's a lot but everything is expensive these days.

About 3 years back, my sister & I wanted to hold a garage sale and discovered that a small ad in the local paper-nothing big, just a couple of lines in the classified section-would set us back $55.

We found other places to advertise free.

There are also other places to sell online for free but I am not convinced you necessarily get top dollar on them & you don't always get as many people looking at the ads. A lot depends on what you're selling & how much you want etc

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Yes, print advertising, even modest print advertising, isn't exactly cheap.

And as you say, there are indeed other places to sell online but there's the question of how much bang one gets for one's buck. Exposure, potential market... these affect the price that one can ask and the likelihood of whether or not something will sell.

It comes down to a simple philosophical question:

❝If a tree falling down is listed in the online marketplace forest but nobody hears the spruiking or sees the listing, does it make a sale?❞

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Print advertising costs are absolutely insane! Two years ago, my step daughter and her fiance were coming here to visit. They were going to be here on Valentine's Day. That day has never meant anything to me other than a Hallmark holiday, but being in her 20's, it meant something to her. 

She thought it might be nice to put a Valentine's notice in our local paper, expressing her love for her fiance. A surprise for him while they were here. All she wanted was "Dear XXXX Love you more than ever. Lots of love XXXX". It was going to cost her nearly $200.

I think when people spazz out at the eBay fees, they need to remember what it cost to put an ad in the paper pre eBay and pre internet. Even back in the 80's/90's, putting an ad in the paper for a flatmate cost a small fortune. Putting an ad in for Wednesday and Saturday would cost me close to $100. That was more than 1/4 of my wages. Putting an ad in today is just as expensive.

No-one likes paying fees, but the fees I pay eBay are way less than what I'd pay if I had a daily ad running in the paper. For that reason, I'm happy to give eBay their bit each month, to ensure I have maximum exposure. I get way more exposure than advertising in the local rag each week.

If I advertise in the paper, I pay regardless. If I advertise on eBay, I only pay if I sell (even then, I may not pay if the listing was a fee free listing). If I go 6 months and sell nothing, I don't pay one single cent.

I would guess that a reasonable proportion of the people whinging about the fees, don't remember a time before the internet, when the only way to sell anything was a garage sale, or advertising in the local paper (and we advertised the garage sales in the paper!!!).

Spoiler
Shock horror, there was life and avertising before the internet.
Spoiler
There was also life before Facebook.
Spoiler
However did we survive?
Message 10 of 10
Latest reply