feedback embezzelment

I am very concerned regarding an incident of feedback embezzelment that has happened to me as a seller. My buyer told me by email that he was happy with my service but is unhappy that I have not left him positive feedback. When I told him that I was not leaving any feedback he threatened me to either leave him positive or he will leave me neutral. He gave me a couple of days to do this and so I contacted ebay . They told me that his actions are not acceptable and that they will take matter into their hands. After this email from ebay he left me a neutral feedback. I have since contacted ebay regarding this matter only to be told now that they will be doing nothing and that as I have excellent feedback that this neutral shouldn't affect me. I think this is very unfair and what is the point of having Feedback Embezzelment if it is not enforced. This buyer I have since checked has many neutrals he has left based only on not getting his positive feedback. As a seller I am not allowed to leave negative or neutral feedback and as I was unhappy about my transaction with him feel I should be allowed to not leave any feedback at all. I thought feedback was an option and not a requirement. I hope someone can help with this matter.

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: feedback embezzelment

I would recommend that you keep calling eBay until you get someone who is able to see that this is a clear-cut case of feedback extortion. 

Quote this policy to them if you need to, and remind them that leaving feedback is voluntary, not obligatory or offered as part and parcel with a listing / purchase, therefore it can not be demanded on the threat of negative or neutral feedback:

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/feedback-extortion.html

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

rossy,

Ebay's answer doesn't come as a surprise at all.

Recently we have had a case where our buyer left a most insulting comments and also lied through her teeth about the "fault", and also lost PP dispute, as well tried to keep the item as well as obtain a full refund.

When we rang Ebay about the harrasment (to report the buyer's behaviour) they told us straight away that her f/back will not be removed under any circumstances.

We had to stop them there and point out that we didn't ask them to remove the f/back - we rang for different reason - as that f/back is quite entertaining  - I mean, this is not an everyday occurence to be called a thief, fraud, liar, cheat - so we wanted it to stay for entertainment value alone!

But Ebay person just kept repeating again and agin how they don't really remove bad f/backs any more - for any reason - and 

"not even a court order is guaranteed for it's removal"

I hang up and reported the buyer via emails - and guess what?

I had 5 different Ebay people respond to that saying how the f/back can't be removed - even after I typed and underlined " please pay attention here - this is not a request for f/back removal"

And you did well, not to leave f/back if that is your policy, in spite of the threat to do so - as being blackmailed is not the approach most us respond to - we tend to do exactly the oposite.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

There was another seller on here recently who copped a negative because he didn't leave the buyer feedback. Interestingly, a lot of her feedback left for others, there were plenty of negatives due to sellers not leaving feedback. That was her issue, not that there was anything wrong with what she bought or the transaction. She also used the word BEWARE. Beware of the seller who doesn't leave feedback! This person had over 1,000 FB from memory, so not like they were just trying to get their numbers up for reputation. They placed so much emphasis on the feedback. Quite sad really.

You could always reply to your neutral and name the buyer (by username) and that way other sellers can see who they are and take appropriate action to ensure it doesn't happen to them. 

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

Hi, thankyou for your response. The person who left me neutral also has left many for others only because they didn't leave him a positive feedback. A bit unfair since buyers can leave any feedback and seller can only leave positive.
Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

Don't forget to add your buyer's user ID to you Blocked Buyers' List so he can't do it again.

http://pages.ebay.com.au/services/buyandsell/biddermanagement.html
Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

Hi, thankyou for your response. I know how you feel. Initially this buyer asked for a positive feedback to which I didn't respond as unhappy with his dealings with me. He then sent an email telling me that if I don't leave a positive feedback within the next few days that he will be leaving me a neutral. He went on to say it would be a shame as he was happy with my dealings with him. Ebay needs to protect sellers a bit more than they do. They seem to favour buyer, eg. feedback choices for sellers and buyer.
Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

Hi, did it as soon as I had problems with him. Thankyou.
Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

Hi, I mentioned to them that there is a policy there that is suppose to protect people from this situation. Problem was different people at ebay are responding to each email so person doesn't have full story. The first person at Ebay I dealt with was very understanding and said his actions won't be tolerated and that they will take action if bad feedback is left. Once the feedback was left I got someone different at Ebay who said nothing can be done. Very frustrated and why have a rule of no feedback extortion allowed if it won't be enforced. Thanks for your help.
Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

Hi, thanks for your response. I've decided not to give up and keep emailing ebay until I get the right one. I think it's an insult to be told by ebay that as my feedback is numerous and positive that this neutral shouldn't hurt me. It's sending a message to buyer's that threats are ok and they are letting him constantly getting away with this. Thanks again.
Message 10 of 12
Latest reply