heads up on buyers trying to purchase outside of ebay.

below is a message thread from a buyer today. I had sent them an " offer" on an item and no matter how much I tried to help them figure out how to purchase it they just kept messaging back without being able too. I feel suspicious and think the whole thing seems sus it was A vintage Pokemon jacket so interested if any pokemon sellers getting similar interactions.   when I look at the person's id they have 0 feedback 0 purchases or listings yet have been member since 2010.  Does eBay put restrictions on buyers? I got through to Ebay on phone after the first couple of messages and confirmed there was no prob with the listing. After which I even deleted and relisted it in case. Thoughts people? It will be reported to eBay as am aware they can't ask people to sell off ebay>

New message from: 

I’ve tried on other stuffs, I can click on buy it now or make offers.. but I don’t know why I can’t do it in your listing
Hopefully eBay can help out on this

Your previous message

I'll report it to eBay tomorrow for you. they can view the messages and work out what.

Buyer

Okay I’ll try it again, yes I’ve searched it using the new item ID you gave it to me earlier on but still can’t buy it

Your previous message

did u go to the new listing of it item number 234985330842 and type the item number in the search bar?

u should now be able to just click on buy it now. sorry I can't sell it to you off eBay.

I see u have a new account it may be that if so go to Ebay help scroll down to chat answer a few questions then say still need help request speak to an agent they will call u pretty quick if in business hours.

Early edition POKEMON Paraphernalia Vintage Jacket. Youth size 8
Item ID: 234985330842
AU $20.00 Buy It Now
+ postage
Listing renews in 29d 20h

Buyer

I still can’t add to cart or checkout 😔 or can you total up the amount with shipping cost then I pay you through PayPal?

Your previous message

here ive relisted it for u at the 20 hope that worx sorry for all the confusion. Item ID: 234985330842

Buyer

But your item is now unavailable

Your previous message

The offer shouldn't be on the items listing page as it was only sent to u. were did the offer originally come through to u ? that's what u need to click on it.. im unable to send another offer on it now but i have tried to make item so u can send me an offer.

Buyer

Sorry I mean doesn’t has the offer or add to cart to click on

Your previous message

ebay lady says for u to click on the view offer. then don't click buy it now just add to the cart and request an invoice.
i have adjusted item to allow offers if that doesnt work. She checked the alow internationl postage is correct.

Buyer

It’s still the same ya, or do you accept PayPal?

Your previous message

EBay lady on phone just checking for me now.

Buyer

Maybe it’s your selling settings on international shipping

Your previous message

I took it to the post office to check It should be $24 standard airmail 6-10 Days. let me know if it comes up differently at checkout and I will adjust it accordingly. or just request an invoice at checkout. x paula

Buyer

Hello! I’m interested to get this, my region is Singapore
How much is the shipping fee?
Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I call scammer. 0 Feedback after 13 years. They are overseas and you have offered standard shipping (which doesn't have tracking). Despite you having sold quite a few items, they could be looking at your low feedback score and think you're inexperienced.

If it was me, I wouldn't be letting them buy it. I'd be blocking them. That's just me though. Too many red flags for my liking.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

yes me too def scammer. I will be blocking them yes. Was sharing for others' benefit as surprising how they go about trying to get people to deal off eBay. I sell a lot overseas without any problems as I sell niche items and there are a lot of collectors worldwide.

FYI if you are selling overseas.

The international "standard does. have tracking" and includes insurance up to $100. (you can buy extra cover if more required)

it's a couple of dollars more than  "economy" Air that doesn't have insurance.

Australia Post International Standard
3 - 10 business days
Tracking included: Yes
Insurance included: Yes
Buyer pays AU $24.05 - AU $53.50

Australia Post International Economy Air3 - 10 business days
Tracking included: Yes
Buyer pays AU $21.05 - AU $50.50
Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Not sure what you are warning us about.  Ebay policy is clearly that you do not sell outside of Ebay.  So if you follow the rules,  you will never get stung by possible scammers.  

Personally I think if people do sell outside of Ebay, and get scammed, its their own fault and should lose their money.  Their own silly fault for trying to rip of Ebay.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

I should have made it clearer for u. Scammer alert. own stupid fault if get sucked in but here's how they try to incase Nanna doesn't know.xx

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

I think the OP made it quite clear that they were not trying to sell outside of ebay.

Even if the so called buyer was able to pay, the whole thing would have ended badly. There would have been a claim for INR or INAD for sure. If the OP wanted it back, then they were going to pay. I'm pleased they could see it was a potential scammer and taken appropriate action.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply