how can there be a sale when there is no sale?

about mid march i get a bid on item A. The buyer contacts me asking if i combine postage if they buy another one, i say yes.

Then they contact me again asking if i would reduce  the $3 price on item B to $2.50. I don't put "make an offer" on low priced items like this, but said that would be ok I will adjust the price on the invoice when they buy it.  No bid was placed on item B .anyhow item A finished about 25th march.

I still hadn't received any payment by end of March so I contacted the buyer asking about payment.

They said they are waiting for combined postage.

I said I can't give combined postage on one item.

They said since I agreed to a price on item B then that is a sale even though they didn't buy it.

I cannot give combined postage on an invisible item in my sold section.

They have to actually bid on and win or buy the item to show up in my sold section. They still were not prepared in any way shape of form to do that.

I then get paid for item A and a negative feedback saying that i don't follow through will sales. and that they would never buy from me again.

How is this fair ?. Am I missing something?. How can a simple message become a sale when they haven't actually bought it, and there was NO make-an-offer button.?

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

eBay really should back you up on this one, just make sure to use the call me back option when contacting them, as speaking to a person tends to yield much better results.

Have a clear sequence of events already in mind to explain to the rep on the phone, so that you don't end up inadvertently confusing things or missing out any details, it will also help if you need to lead the rep back to the main point of your complaint.

You could also try the "buyer attempted to purchase outside of eBay, but left me a neg when I refused and tried to get them to follow policy and purchase through eBay", as that angle might curry you extra favour, and is definitely plausible given what's been outlined here. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

@lojomojo7 wrote:

about mid march i get a bid on item A. The buyer contacts me asking if i combine postage if they buy another one, i say yes.

Then they contact me again asking if i would reduce  the $3 price on item B to $2.50. I don't put "make an offer" on low priced items like this, but said that would be ok I will adjust the price on the invoice when they buy it.  No bid was placed on item B .anyhow item A finished about 25th march.

I still hadn't received any payment by end of March so I contacted the buyer asking about payment.

They said they are waiting for combined postage.

I said I can't give combined postage on one item.

They said since I agreed to a price on item B then that is a sale even though they didn't buy it.

I cannot give combined postage on an invisible item in my sold section.

They have to actually bid on and win or buy the item to show up in my sold section. They still were not prepared in any way shape of form to do that.

I then get paid for item A and a negative feedback saying that i don't follow through will sales. and that they would never buy from me again.

How is this fair ?. Am I missing something?. How can a simple message become a sale when they haven't actually bought it, and there was NO make-an-offer button.?

Some buyers are pretty basic in their thought patterns.

You need to be carefully prescriptive in your replies to requests like that.

eg:

"Just add all the items you require to your cart and then ask me for an invoice

(you will find a button when you have more than one item from the same seller in your cart).

This is the only way this sort of discount can be processed on eBay".

Unfortunately you'll find you will need to be a (simple) mind reader.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I would ask ebay to remove the negative....thy can see that there was only one purchase.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

eBay really should back you up on this one, just make sure to use the call me back option when contacting them, as speaking to a person tends to yield much better results.

Have a clear sequence of events already in mind to explain to the rep on the phone, so that you don't end up inadvertently confusing things or missing out any details, it will also help if you need to lead the rep back to the main point of your complaint.

You could also try the "buyer attempted to purchase outside of eBay, but left me a neg when I refused and tried to get them to follow policy and purchase through eBay", as that angle might curry you extra favour, and is definitely plausible given what's been outlined here. 

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Also put them on your block list.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Yes I did put them on my blocked list. I even deleted the other item they were interested in so they couldn't organise for a friend to buy it for them.

Anyway here is the latest.

I went through the channels to see if they would alter their feedback. They replied with a NO.

I then got ebay to ring me and told them everything. They thanked me very much and are now removing the horrible negative feedback.

All good. Now all I have to do is block them from my other accounts as well.

Thanks everyone for your imput.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply