how do people get away with selling organic soy candles when there is no such thing

how do people get away with selling organic soy candles when there is no such thing....And how do I contact ebay about it Thank you

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

how do people get away with selling organic soy candles when there is no such thing

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Google tends to differ.

Lots of articles on soy candles.

Would you like it if someone came here and said all your feathers were just

painted chicken feathers?

Message 2 of 22
Latest reply

I do make soy candles and I am admin on some candle making pages and this is a big thing with us as nowhere in the world can you buy organic soy wax to make candles out of..

Message 3 of 22
Latest reply

Ebay won't see it that way.

Currently there are 1,120 listings for organic soy candles.

Ebay will not remove them on your say so

edited to say:  you can always go to help & contact at the top of the page.

Message 4 of 22
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

Google tends to differ.

Lots of articles on soy candles.

Would you like it if someone came here and said all your feathers were just

painted chicken feathers?

feathers from China wouldn't be faked . . . . would they? (not at 1 to 6cents each)  Smiley Frustrated

Message 5 of 22
Latest reply

Ebay tends not to believe reports from members unless you have conclusive proof from an authorised 3rd party that the item is not as described...that is what you woud have to report it as.

Good luck with that.

I have no idea how important the organic status is, but as far as many people would be concerned the fact that they are soy would be enough to keep them happy.  It might be better to choose your battles as you are going to have a hard time with this one.

Message 6 of 22
Latest reply

yeh there is no link that I can follow unless I want to report just one listing

Message 7 of 22
Latest reply

Are there not soy plants grown organically ?

image host
Message 8 of 22
Latest reply

Not in the wax industry, all soy beans are from him crops and use harsh chemicals to break down the bean to a liquid form and then into a solid form where bleach is used to make the wax flakes white
Message 9 of 22
Latest reply

@kerrysfeathers2016 wrote:

how do people get away with selling organic soy candles when there is no such thing....And how do I contact ebay about it Thank you

Mostly, because it isn't just sellers who have misunderstandings or misconcenptions about certain trade words, but buyers and even eBay themselves, which perpetuates and expands the 'myths'.

Similar issues are prevalent in many categories - a perfect example is stainless steel. eBay even have two different product sub-cats, one for stainless steel and one for "surgical" steel, when surgical steel is just an informal name for stainless steel. Add to that all the people who assume "surgical steel" means it's designed for safe body jewellery (it generally is safe to wear,, but it really isn't what it was designed for), and you get heaps of sellers listing "nickel free surgical steel" jewellery, when it can't be classed as a surgical steel without nickel. 

eBay doesn't even really seem to have much of a problem with provable non-existant items (a perfect example is "rainbow rose" seeds), so reporting listings when it's down to an unprovable accusation is often even more problematic (I say unprovable, because from a quick google I saw some articles that mentioned while 99% of soy wax is not "organic", there is (or was) a select few providers - seriously not my area, though, so if this is misinformation then I wouldn't know, and neither - I suspect - would eBay, however if it is possible, even if very difficult, to source, then it's impossible to know if all seller's are misinformed or not). 

As frustrating as it can be, sometimes the best thing you can do is be honest and provide the correct information to people, as you will find people who prefer that, and ultimately those who care will appreciate dealing with someone who knows their products better than some others. 

Message 10 of 22
Latest reply