implications of seller cancelling sale

I am not a store-owner.

I sold an item & then when I went to clean it before posting (it was silver plate) I realised there was a spot of corrosion on it.  I contacted the buyer twice over the weekend & told him the story & sent photos & asked did he want to proceed.  Didn’t get a reply.  Then messaged him & said that I had to comply with my posting deadline, but wouldn’t do so unless I thought he was happy with the item.  No reply.  So I cancelled the transaction.  [And incidentally still have had no reply.]

I had NO idea that cancelling a transaction (due to not being available as advertised or whatever the words are) would lead to a DEMERIT point or whatever it is.  Why isn’t this flagged before you click the button?  In fact after doing so I had a lengthy Ebay msg telling me that everything would be refunded etc etc but no mention that I’d be penalised.

Yes I understand that strictly speaking I had not advertised the item correctly but I feel that I had done everything to honestly address the situation, the buyer & Ebay and NOW I’m being penalised.

Views?  What are the implications of this demerit point?  What should I have done?

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: implications of seller cancelling sale

https://sellercentre.ebay.com.au/news/returns

Read the FAQs, especially the last one in the General section.  You might be lucky and get a customer service rep who'll give you your money back if they return it, but unless you made it clear that you expected them to return it when you refunded them, and paid for the return, you might be out of luck.

Re defects, have you bothered to look in the Seller Centre?  I assume not.  If you click on the + symbol beside Selling Basics at the top left, then on ebay Seller Standards, there's a table at the top of the page explaining defects and how many you're allowed before it affects you.  Under the FAQs it explains how you're affected if you drop below the minimum standards, eg. higher fees, less visibility, etc.

Message 11 of 20
Latest reply

Sorry, the bit about returns was in relation to someone else's problem so ignore that. The last paragraph is what you need to read.
Message 12 of 20
Latest reply

I find Ebay Help a complete labyrinth & the search function is worse than zero! I think I've looked where you suggested but I still can't see how the Defect might affect me. It says I think a 2% rate is allowable. But then what happens?
Message 13 of 20
Latest reply

Then you get sanctioned.

A good rule of thumb is to not hit any defect metrics.

Message 14 of 20
Latest reply

Did you read the FAQs on the Ebay Seller Standards page that I gave you directions to??? Especially the first one, which is What happens if I'm not meeting the minimum performance requirements? Where is says 'FAQs' you have to click on the + at the side of each one to read the answers.

Forget the Help section, you're always better off clicking on Seller Centre.
Message 15 of 20
Latest reply

Hahaha true Dave! Completely different back then. I could have negged the buyer for not replying to me for all Ebay cared. Very different consequences today.

Message 16 of 20
Latest reply

so this is what will happen: "you'll pay a higher percentage rate for final value fees and we may put limits on your selling activity or lower your search placement until your performance improves. We may also restrict you from selling items on eBay if your performance falls significantly below the minimum requirements."

Message 17 of 20
Latest reply

It's always a good idea - if you need action or a decision from the buyer - to give a timeframe.

For instance,

❝Dear [buyer]

Further to your purchase of item number xxxxxx, as I was preparing your purchase for despatch, I noticed a spot of corrosion on the silver plate. (Please see attached photos.)

Before I despatch this item to you, I'd like to be sure that you are happy to go ahead with the purchase, and that you confirm the address to which you'd like this sent.

1. If you prefer to cancel, just let me know so that I can process the cancellation.
  2. If you prefer to proceed, just let me know that you are happy to go ahead. (In light of the spot of corrosion, I am also prepared to offer a commensurate and discretionary partial refund of $xx.00.) I'll also need to confirm your address.

Please respond with your decision within 48 hours, after which time I will assume that you prefer to cancel.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Regards,

[Seller]❞

If you need to cancel after those 48 hours, given that you have provided those options to the buyer, you can choose a reason that won't earn you a defect.

Message 18 of 20
Latest reply

yes this is nice. I did actually contact him 3 times over the course of 3 days, and in my last msg indicated I had a posting deadline to meet. no reply. still haven't had any contact from him.
Message 19 of 20
Latest reply

Wow. I'm sorry to hear this has happened. Thanks for the warning.
Message 20 of 20
Latest reply