international postage

hi,wondering if any members have had this situation.
i live in australia,i had a blueray music dvd for sale which was bought by a guy in sweeden,payment was made to me,the dvd arrived in his country and he says that he has to pay custom fees before he can recieve his item,he has messaged me and is asking me to pay the vat fees or it will be returned to me at my expense,is this normal practice for sending items internationally. 

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: international postage

My understanding is that customers are responsible for any additional customs/duties.

If that is still the case, politely tell the buyer that and cut and paste the relevant section.

If he still gives trouble and demands return postage costs or whatever, I'd contact ebay chat and ask them to have a look at the buyer's messages to you & reiterate that their policy is the customer is responsible for the extra charges, not you. Get this on record before he can open a malicious claim.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Customers are always responsible for the payment of customs/duties and any fee associated with delivery to their country. This is clearly outlined in the terms and conditions for buyers:

From Ebay: Import duties, taxes, and charges are not included in the item price or shipping cost. These charges are the buyer's responsibility. Please check with your country's customs office to determine what these additional costs might be prior to buying.

It is 100% on the customer. Not sure why it would be sent back at your expense? I've had unclaimed mail sent back before and they just return it the address recorded with no additional expense.

The only other thing I can think of is that Ebay has started charging buyers for their duties upfront when they order, so double check the transaction and see if there was any tax/duty added. If so, you can advise the buyer that it is already paid and they can advise customs (who would have to open it to see your paperwork), but the better way would be to enclose a copy of the invoice on the outside of the parcel in a ziploc bag that customs can check at a glance.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

๐Ÿ‘thanks  for your reply and information,
regards
ray.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Tell this idiot that he is responsible for customs fees (as are all buyers around the world). If he doesn't like it tell him to return the item.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

My understanding is that customers are responsible for any additional customs/duties.

If that is still the case, politely tell the buyer that and cut and paste the relevant section.

If he still gives trouble and demands return postage costs or whatever, I'd contact ebay chat and ask them to have a look at the buyer's messages to you & reiterate that their policy is the customer is responsible for the extra charges, not you. Get this on record before he can open a malicious claim.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply