international return request after 6 weeks

I sold a dress in mid Sep to a lady in Canada, which arrived on the 27th of Sep.

Then yesterday, on the 11th of Nov, she opened a return request saying the dress arrived damaged...

She also uploaded a picture evidence, well there's no doubt that the dress has been damaged, but "arrived damaged"? I don't think so.

It's been over 6 weeks now since she got the parcel, what took her so long to find the problem? I suspect she damaged the dress herself.

Problem is, if I accept this return request, ebay will demand me to provide return label, which I have no way to do so.

I checked Canadian Post website and couldn't find any section to purchase post label.

So, what's best play for me here? Will ebay just refund buyer and let her keep the dress? 

I consulted a friend of mine, he told me to accept this return request first and just wait, ebay will not refund buyer and cannot force me to provide return label.

Is this true?

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

It is not unusual for items into Canada to take 4-5 weeks.

Their customs checks are very strict and it's possible it's been opened for inspections and damaged in the process.

Although I doubt Canadian customs would damage such an item.

Check the buyers feedback and see if there are any signs of it having happened before, feedback left for others.

The buyer will need to return it and seeing as it's International, a label cannot be supplied.

So you can either refund and not want the item back or you could try calling a bluff as buyer will need to pay for postage.

image host
Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

I would say that she has probably done this before, possibly many times. It's called wardrobing. Buy an outfit for an event, event passes, then suddenly the outfit is damaged and they want to return it for a refund. 

Call her bluff. Tell her to send it back and you'll refund on arrival. Knowing what Canada post is like, it will be months before it arrives back and by then any dispute will have timed out. If it's something she does regularly, she will know the system.

I can pretty much say that eBay will force a refund. If she has opened a dispute and she then asks eBay to step in and help, you will get a defect.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Psst Kopes-OP has said dress was delivered on 27th September.

I agree with Kopes anyway re check the buyers feedback left for others and ask the buyer to return

the dress. Waiting 6 weeks before claiming a dress is damaged sounds like complete BS to me and

think Tippy is on the money re wardrobing.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

If you're on facebook, check to see whether she's on there. You may find pictures of her wearing the dress at an event.
Message 5 of 5
Latest reply