item specifics required / 95% + tracking

Hi all, fully aware ebay don't read these boards other than moderators.

I've heard the scenarios ebay getting rid of small sellers etc.

I've recently gone from 600 listings on two accounts down to 350 in the last month and falling - selling over MP where there are no fees etc and quick turnaround, particulary my higher priced items - so ebay misses out of its commission there.

I wonder how others feel re the item specifics that are compulsory... as in when I've been updating mine, sometimes I don't know the "specific" answer usually clothing or vtg books, and if you have to complete the specific and get it wrong aren't you at risk of an item not described claim?

and with the tracking item not delivered within 3 days scenario.. is that 3 days of posting if not tracked?  again I'm changing my items to be trackable -  for that many listings it takes time to update - and also adds to your asking price.

then I read on the forums about some inernational extra % fee  / but by that stage had cancelled all my international sales as an item was still in transit (trackable) but as no proof of delivery I ended up $50 out of pocket and a neutral feedback.

really turning me off ebay, along with managed payments hovering...

perhaps their intention? - despite reading on my profile they've marked me as a top rated blah blah seller.

seems to be a lot of unfavourable changes happening... are others finding it this way?  let alone getting regular sales.  October is usually peak month and I do get bites, but findign having lost the itnernational market and people not having money to spend too its all not adding up well.

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

joz15au
Community Member
I don't get many INR claims on my store account but as most of my items are stamps and postcards I don't use tracking (except for larger multiple purchases or higher value items) as any increase in my sale or postage charges would mean very few sales as I wouldn't be able to compete with high volume sellers who can offer free postage. You can't build $3 tracked postage into the price of a $2 set of stamps. I have taken the 3 days as being from when the buyer lodges a claim. I am hoping that the new untracked postage option doesn't start giving buyers ideas as it makes it clearer than the previous standard postage option that the item is untracked, which could bring some nasties out if the woodwork. Fortunately stamp and postcard collectors are generally an honest lot and I don't sell overseas. Some of the item specifics are a pain as they are often not relevant to what you are selling, but I try to fill in what I can. If it ever becomes too much I guess I will just end up with a lot of stamps and postcards. ๐Ÿ˜Š
Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

@onekiwi0 wrote:

I wonder how others feel re the item specifics that are compulsory... as in when I've been updating mine, sometimes I don't know the "specific" answer usually clothing or vtg books, and if you have to complete the specific and get it wrong aren't you at risk of an item not described claim?

If I don't have a specific answer for an item specific I just leave it out. Some of them are plainly ridiculous anyway. Especially in clothing and fashion jewellery.

I've just been through and added specifics to the 200+ items ebay said I needed to update, and found it so stupid - e.g. under knitwear there wasn't a prelisted specific for 'cardigan'. So each time I had to type it out and remeber to hit 'add new specific' or whatever it said.

Also under the very broad category for Tops, there was no prelisted specific for 'top' or 'shirt' - it was either blouse, button-up, polo, tank or  t-shirt, These were not the only examples but the two I remember the most because they were so annoyinig., I've also just discovered that where I went to the trouble of typing in 'shirt' ebay have now changed some of them to 'button-up' on my listings anyway!!..

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply