lost parcel

I sent a parcel to a buyer in NSW at the end of October with signature on delivery. The day after I sent it the buyer contacted me and said that they had the wrong address on their Ebay and Paypal accounts as they had moved and could I sernd it to the new address. I said that I had alreadfy sent it to the address on Ebay and Paypal. I rang Aust Post to see if we could intercept it for the right address. This couldn't be done. I told the buyer that Aust Post would return it to sender and I would resend it. Now I have been watching the tracking and it has been in North Wollongong since 6th November 17 with a notice of returning to sender.

I have rang Aust Post and have put in a complaint but of course it will take them 10 business days to sort it out until the 5th December. I think it looks like it is lost.

I have had the buyer wanting a replacement or a refund.

My delima is that it was their fault they had the wrond address, I sent it to where I should have. It is registered and has a tracking number. It is a $300 parcel. Where do I stand on this please if anyone knows. Thanks

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: lost parcel

@broncraft wrote:

I sent a parcel to a buyer in NSW at the end of October with signature on delivery. The day after I sent it the buyer contacted me and said that they had the wrong address on their Ebay and Paypal accounts as they had moved and could I sernd it to the new address. I said that I had alreadfy sent it to the address on Ebay and Paypal. I rang Aust Post to see if we could intercept it for the right address. This couldn't be done. I told the buyer that Aust Post would return it to sender and I would resend it. Now I have been watching the tracking and it has been in North Wollongong since 6th November 17 with a notice of returning to sender.

I have rang Aust Post and have put in a complaint but of course it will take them 10 business days to sort it out until the 5th December. I think it looks like it is lost.

I have had the buyer wanting a replacement or a refund.

My delima is that it was their fault they had the wrond address, I sent it to where I should have. It is registered and has a tracking number. It is a $300 parcel. Where do I stand on this please if anyone knows. Thanks

Others will have more definite info but I suspect that if the buyer opens a dispute they will win as they have not received the parcel, there is no proof of delivery.

I know this whole situation is a bit unfair as none of it is your fault but you're going to be out of pocket  the original postage costs at the very least.

My only advice is if the parcel does make its way back to you ( and I think it will eventually), do not resend it to the buyer at a different address, better to just refund.

If you resend to their new address, I suspect you might have to pay for postage again & also, the address you sent it to would not be the official ebay or paypal registered address & you could leave yourself open to a claim.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

If you have proof that the parcel was sent to the address in paypal (if the buyer paid that way) then you will win any dispute.

That is not to say that the buyer will not get their money back, but it will not be taken from you.

If there is a formal dispute make sure you upload the tracking number to the dispute and point out that the buyer has admitted to having the wrong address in paypal.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Ebay MBG INR claims require proof of delivery to the address given on the PayPal transaction if they paid that way.

If the buyer rasied a PayPal INR claim then proof of lodgement to the PayPal address should be all you need to win.

So in this situation if the buyer rasies a ebay MBG INR claim since the tracking does not show delivered you could lose the claim.

However, you do have a message (presumably via ebay messaging) stating that the address they gave was not correct.

So if you brought that to the attention of ebay that might tip the result back into your (seller) favour.

Since this is the fault of the buyer I would do nothing more than you have already and wait to see if the parcel is returned to you.

In the meantime if they do open a formal INR case you could argue on the grounds of the message as per above but only refund if you have to.

It should find its way back to you I think.

Then if it does you can negotiate with the buyer to repay for the new postage before you resend, if they still want it.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

@clarry100 wrote:

So in this situation if the buyer rasies a ebay MBG INR claim since the tracking does not show delivered you could lose the claim.

I think it would be 50/50, depending on what the tracking history shows.

The MBG states that buyers are responsible for accepting delivery, which IMO can easily be argued to extend to collection of parcels as well.

It also states that a purchase which is refused at the point of delivery is ineligble for the MBG unless the buyer provides written documentation from the carrier that the package was refused because it either has underpaid postage and the buyer couldn't receive it without paying more, or it was clearly damaged in transit. 

The buyer would not be able to provide either of those things, which could actually render their purchase ineligible for the MBG. 

Disappointingly, the MBG policies don't say anything about what happens when a package is "undeliverable" - a few of my packages have been deemed undeliverable (missing address details, usually), so if that is given as the reason for non-successful delivery, it may be more in the buyer's favour.

Personally, I would be inclined to advise the buyer that the package was insured, and that if Australia Post determine the package was lost, they'll pay out the compensation, which can then be passed on to the buyer via a refund of their payment, so AP is the only one out any money. 

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Thank you all for your imput. I have spoken to Ebay and all the corresponding has gone through Ebay messages. I will wait for the next step. Thank you all again

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

I had the same happen to me. The 200$ item then sat at the distribution centre near me for weeks because they could not contact me by phone(no phone number on package). No attempt to return item to me. Lodged complaint and they found it opened in lost mail section. Got it back and ripped the AP return slip off the address area and my taped over label 100% able to be read with my details. total attempt at theft. I'll bet what ever bull story they have about what happens to lost mail (given to charity or whatever) is for worthless items only. 

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply