mysterious defects for cancelled transactions

I contacted ebay a few days ago about a defect I had for a cancelled transaction that never happened. They told me that they couldn't see any, but I could see it on my  seller dashboard in the trending data section. They couldn't help me at all, tranferred me to other departments, and then finally they hung up on me. I wasn't rude to them or anything I just wanted to know why I had a defect for something that never happened.

Well it would seem I have solved the case for them. When a buyer opens a INR case and a refund is issued (by choosing the refund option in the case) ebays system must think it's a cancelled transaction and issue a defect for it, but then after a few days it dissapears (from my records anyway). This has happened to me twice now.

Also no defects have been issued for INR cases opened when a refund has been issued.

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

saarzi
Community Member

Ive had the exact same thing - INR that I refunded immediately (before Ebay stepped in). It was showing up as a cancelled transaction defect, which has now gone grey (been removed), but is now showing up as a INR defect.

The last INR I refunded (before Ebay stepped in) did not result in a defect. This one did.

To be honest Ebay is so defective and its customer service reps so such little common sense, I just dont care any more Lol

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Any item with refunded INR will be considered as a defect anyway. Only if a tracking number provided and the items either returned to the sender or not claimed by the buyer will not count as a defect. I wonder why it has disappeared since they usually stays on and count as a defect!!

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Generally I haven't been getting defects for INR cases opened if refunded (without going to ebay for decision). I think I did once, but for the rest I have not (about 4 INR cases)

Ebay also send an email after refunding stating that  "This request won't count against you when determining your seller standing", whatever that means.

A defect shouldn't be appearing for a cancelled transaction in any case, but they do dissapear after a few days. If a transaction is cancelled I should also get my fees back, not sure if fees are refunded for these INR cases when the buyer is refunded though.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Me either - Ive never received a defect for an INR that was refunded immediately, except for this latest one (despite what Ebays policy is). In fact, I started a thread on it a couple of weeks ago, and others said the same thing.

Maybe things are changing / messing up because they are adjusting things in preparation for the changes to DSR coming next year... Or maybe they just realised they havent been following their own policy.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply