refunds

hi, I have sold a pick up item and the new owners have paid by paypal, I wish to refund this and do cash on pick up, how would I go about this.

Thank you in advance

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

refunds

You cannot insist that they pay cash I am afraid, if they want to use Paypal then they have the right to do so. Have you explained to them that they have no buyer protection if they pay with Paypal? If not do so and if they didn't realise explain they would be better off if you refunded the payment and they paid cash after inspecting the goods. You do the refund through Paypal, some sellers say they have received a defect even though a case has not been opened but that is not my experience.

If they want to go ahead with Paypal then it is perfectly safe for you unless they fund the payment with a credit card in which case they could do a chargeback so make sure you get them to sign a receipt saying they have examined and accepted the goods, I would also take a note of their vehicle rego number then if they do try a chargeback you can tell them unless they cancel it straight away you will be passing their details on to the police as they would be obtaining goods by deception.

In all the years I have been on the boards I have only ever seen a handful of threads where a chargeback has happened after pick up and in the majority of those it was either the credit card company cancelling and the buyer re made payment or the buyer cancelled after being threatened with the police.

See what a trendsetter I am?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

refunds

You cannot insist that they pay cash I am afraid, if they want to use Paypal then they have the right to do so. Have you explained to them that they have no buyer protection if they pay with Paypal? If not do so and if they didn't realise explain they would be better off if you refunded the payment and they paid cash after inspecting the goods. You do the refund through Paypal, some sellers say they have received a defect even though a case has not been opened but that is not my experience.

If they want to go ahead with Paypal then it is perfectly safe for you unless they fund the payment with a credit card in which case they could do a chargeback so make sure you get them to sign a receipt saying they have examined and accepted the goods, I would also take a note of their vehicle rego number then if they do try a chargeback you can tell them unless they cancel it straight away you will be passing their details on to the police as they would be obtaining goods by deception.

In all the years I have been on the boards I have only ever seen a handful of threads where a chargeback has happened after pick up and in the majority of those it was either the credit card company cancelling and the buyer re made payment or the buyer cancelled after being threatened with the police.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

refunds

thank you PJ will leave as is a sale is a sale. Is there a way of getting the funds released from paypal early instead of waiting 2 weeks.

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply