return request.

i would like some advise on a resent auction sale. Item is a 20 plus year old amplifier/receiver with all functions working. Posted it and a few days later I received good feed back. All good. Then over 3 weeks later person has put in a return claim, saying that turntable input not working (only one channel) working. Now, I test my gear so thoroughly this fault could not have been missed. Asked why this was not reported sooner, his response was he was waiting for other components (speakers ect) to make a hole system. Does he have a case and will eBay make me refund him? Thanks 

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

return request.

You may be able to rely on the fact that feedback has already been given indicating satisfaction, and that you do not offer returns.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

return request.

My advice would be to use the call me back option to get on the phone to ebay, tell them you are not asking ebay to step in yet but would like some advice as a buyer has opened a return request some time after leaving pos feedback for a 20 year old piece of equipment and is now saying after having it for nearly a month and that of course something as old as that cannot be expected to last as long as a new item and that it is something easily damaged by the user. It can't hurt and they may agree to find in your favour. If they do make sure you note the time of the call and the employee's ame and number. If they don't agree try again a few hours later, often a different person will be more sympathetic.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

return request.

Thanks for you input guys. I lost this case. This no place to sell 30 year second hand audio gear if sellers are expected to give warrantee.. Once my stocks are depleated Im out.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

return request.

Just make sure you get the item back.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

return request.

@1150b wrote:

Thanks for you input guys. I lost this case. This no place to sell 30 year second hand audio gear if sellers are expected to give warrantee.. Once my stocks are depleated Im out.

Just sell "as is". No returns...

But I see where your coming from. I sell new stuff and I've had a gutfull of rude, demanding and dishonest customers too. Then eBay siding with them as they, the customer, knows how the system works, and will manipulate it for their profit. I reckon I'll be out in a few months.

In the years I've been a seller, around 6 or so, its getting worse and worse as more people know what they can and can't get away with.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

return request.

@northern_4x4 wrote:

@1150b wrote:

Just sell "as is". No returns...

But I see where your coming from. I sell new stuff and I've had a gutfull of rude, demanding and dishonest customers too. Then eBay siding with them as they, the customer, knows how the system works, and will manipulate it for their profit. I reckon I'll be out in a few months.

In the years I've been a seller, around 6 or so, its getting worse and worse as more people know what they can and can't get away with.

You can do that of course, but NO RETURNS stated in your listings only applies to change of mind (COM) reason returns.

Any other reason the buyer gives for raising return request you are bound by the ebay return rules which override whatever you say in your listings.

So you either have to refund without asking the buyer to return the item or you pay for the return shipping by tracked means if you want it back. Your only other option is to negotiate a partial refund and the buyer still keeps the item.

So unless the buyer selects COM as their reason or you can justify to ebay why the reason is COM then you will be bound by their rules.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

return request.

Yeah kinda sucks doesn't it. You know it was working 100%, they buyer could have done anything to break it, and then they simply just request a return and get their coin back.
I just give stuff like that away or flog it to cash converters. Less hassle.
Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

return request.

The problems with the MBG is that a buyer can receive a perfectly good working item, use it, wear it, damage it and then lodge a SNAD dispute and win the case. The whole system is totally flawed for sellers. There is NO seller protection unless it's a change of mind. I list elsewhere now Gumtree, FB, have more success there and no fees!

there was a case reported on here not long ago, woman buys dress, wears it out, damaged it with stains or tore it (can't remember which) and lodges a dispute for SNAD.  But, the seller was smart, checked her FB page and photos, and low and behold, she's uploaded photos of wearing the dress out! CAUGHT red handed! Seller sent pics to eBay and won the case!

unfortunately the majority of SNAD cases are found in favour of the buyer 😞

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply