returns ... what should I do

had a buyer purchase one lot of 2 boys ralph lauren tees preloved.  I purchased these in roughly 2007/8 online paid a fair amount of money for them and believe them to be real.  the buyer believes otherwise and has politely contacted me and wants a return them both. She thinks one is real and one isn't.  she says she has many RL tops around her house and doesn't match up.  the 2nd tee she commented looks old and out of shape, which I don't agree with as my son hardly wore it as he didn't like it.  she's filed a return so I assume I'm up for approx $22 + post + return post?  what should I do?/ or what can i do.  I get I'll wear a defect.

I told her I cleaned out sons wardrobe ebaying several labels and gave the rest away. they're not cheap copies from bali or singapore, I know ebays policy on counterfeit.  thanks

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ebay can't objectively arbitrate because they don't handle the goods... so they always favour the buyer.   I would be ecstatic to hear about stories that favour the seller in similar circumstances, would be very rare. 

In this case paypal might require the buyer to prove non-authenticity, ebay certainly won't.

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

I can only address the counterfeit issue. As you purchased them from eBay, you only haveyour belief that they are genuine. The original buyer may have bought one or both in Bali or wherever. It's your word against the buyers here. Opinion against opinion. If you had bought them from an authorised stockist, you would know they were sound.

Paypal claim policy was that the onus was on the buyer to prove a counterfeit, and this is a difficult thing to do. It required written proof from an official source (the designer, an authorised retailer, on a letterhead). So if she has opened a claim for counterfeit, she will need to prove it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

Did she file a return through eBay or Paypal? I am not familiar with the eBay returns policy, hopefully someone else will be along to help.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

she's sent me a link to a website noting the differences between that and what she says is real.  I didn't originally buy from ebay, I purchased from a childrens clothing company, any even emailed invoices I may have had once upon a time would have gone with my old computer back in 2007 and I had no reason to keep them. 

yes shes filed for a return via ebay and now its not thru the resolution centre I'm not sure how it goes either.  she did pay by paypal.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

the return reason is ... 

Doesn't match description or photos.  she says theyre not authentic as I mentioned in my description.  in her emails she's said she thinks only one is not authentic (but she's not happy with the other tee anyway).  So she hasn't listed return reason as countefeit altho told me ebay frowns upon countefeits.  (I'm well aware of that!)

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

OK, originally bought online but not on eBay. If she paid through Paypal she can still make a Paypal claim later. Then she would need proof. I double-checked the buyer protection policy and it's the same...they can ask for third-party verification. They do.

I think sellers have found the eBay claims system tends to favour the buyer, from reading the threads on here. Since noone else has replied yet, try searching other threads for an answer to the defects question and if she needs to provide proof for an eBay claim that the item is counterfeit (as in a Paypal claim).

If you refuse the claim she might try the counterfeit route.

Go to top right here where it has a search for the Board and see whether that helps.

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

thanks amber eyed girl.  I've offered a partial refund for the tee she thinks is a copy.  she can resell it give to charity or use it as a rag. I agree ebay usually does favour the buyer, without buyers thered be no ebay, but they do need sellers too! Will see what happens. (apologies answered using the wrong id but it is me the OP)

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

Hope it goes well for you 🙂

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

buyer declined partial refund (took a little while - likely on holidays) .  now it says seller me to reply by 15 dec 2015.  accept full refund, refund the buyer, contact buyer or ask ebay to step in.

what happens if I do nothing? apart my dashboard taking a beating? I think a partial refund was a fair compromise in this instance, however was declined.  the date to respond has been and gone.  now what happens?

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

If you don't respond then she can ask ebay to step in and ebay will likely refund out of your funds.  You will lose the money and the clothes, and get a "Case closed without seller resolution" so you won't get your FVF back either.

At this point, you can either accept paying the return postage, a full refund and get the shirts back, or if it's not worth the cost of the return postage, you can fully refund now.  At least in these 2 scenarios you will get your FVF back.

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply