scam

So.... I completed a transaction as a seller and assumed everything was fine.

A little while went by and the seller emailed to say the item was faulty. I didnt believe them but I agreed they could return the item and then recieve the refund, this was all done through ebays resolution center.

The package arrived and what was inside was an empty black box with nothing inside.

Before I could do anything, ebay had assumed I recieved my item, refunded the buyer and closed the case.

I contacted ebay by phone to report the scam and find out what my options where. They told me it is "the cost of business and we really cannot do anything to help you".

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

scam

Ring eBay back and ask to speak to a supervisor. Demand that they sort this out. Get a signed affidavit and send it to them. It is a legal document and they have to accept it as the truth. If they don't, report them to the ACCC.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

scam

report the buyer to the police for mail fraud,

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

scam

I would do as suggested and report to the police! Give a stat dec that you received an empty box, and if possible ask if Australia Post have any record of the weight of the parcel, this will help in determining if it is at all possible that the product could have been in  the package at all? Also let the 'buyer' know that you are reporting to the police, as it seems the item must have been opened by a delivery person etc.. also let them know as a matter of policy, you are also filing a report with ACORN.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

scam

The weight of the returned parcel should be on the postage label With this you should be able to prove that the box was empty when it was returned

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

scam

The police are hopeless, they dont want to deal with petty things like 

online transaction. You can try ACORN, havent heard much about them

but i have had personal experience with the police and reporting a scam

that I experience. It was a year and sheer luck that got me justice and 

got my initial money back but not my time, convenience or petrol money 

to investigate it on my own.

But good luck though, I fear its only going to get worst for sellers.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

scam

This kind of thing is exactly what the ACORN is supposed to handle. So I would be lodging the report with them. You will get an official report reference number. Then call EBay and give them that reference number. You may have to request to speak with a supervisor but they may change their tune once they are aware a legal authority is investigating the case.
Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

scam

Here is the link for ACORN - Australian Cybercrime Online Reporting Network

http://www.acorn.gov.au/

If you have been affected by an online trading scam, or if you are concerned about something that appears on an online trading website you should report it to the site (for example, eBay orGumtree). If you are not satisfied with their response, you should report the scam to the ACORN.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply