selling limits

I have been trying to find the selling limits on my account for ages so I contacted ebay (a call back, which online took like 1 minute) anway they said that because the account was created in 2003 there are no selling limits and I have unlimited selling. The woman I spoke to had to put me on hold to ask a superviser.

Can anyone with an old account confirm that they don't show any selling limits?

I could here the woman reading out to herself what was on the screen in front of her and she specifically read out "selling limits not dispayed". In ebays policy it also states that all accounts have selling limits, nothing about exceptions for accounts created before a particular date. She also seemed very surprised when I said "ok thanks for that", like she was expecting something else.

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

selling limits

A few years back now eBay announced that they were putting in place limits on older accounts that had previosly had no limits.

I remember it at the time as the process interefered with live listings and ended some sellers listings at the time, including DGs I think ???
Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

selling limits

I have an older account from 2003 and even though I cannot see any selling limits, the volume of sales do not increase even though I may list a lot more items on this ID.  It has been documented that accounts on ebay do have selling limits.

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

selling limits

Yes...

One of our selling accounts was established in 2004 and it also has no selling limits at all. Not sure when it changed to limited accounts.

One of our other selling IDs was established in 2012. So almost 3-years old now.

We have been caling monthly for some time to request increases in limts.

Then suddenly about 2-months back we get a message out of the blue that says our limits have been increaesd to 550,000 and $750,000.

For us that is essentially unlimited. We don't need to call them any more.

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

selling limits

Thanks for the info everyone, much appreciated.

I list new items regularly and my overall turnover remains fairly constant (for at least a year). Sales just seem to be good one day and poor the next, I will get a really nice big order (what I class as a big order) and then very few the next day, and then there are the few days of the year that mysteriously have no sales at all.

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

selling limits

@thecatspjs wrote:
A few years back now eBay announced that they were putting in place limits on older accounts that had previosly had no limits.

I remember it at the time as the process interefered with live listings and ended some sellers listings at the time, including DGs I think ???

Yup - they wiped out my entire store late March, 2013 (I still have active listings from back then, so I can see when they were relisted right after that) - all that sales history, etc, gone in the blink of an eye. Not a nice thing to wake up to, particularly as a stern email from eBay about exceeding my limits was waiting for me in the morning. Took a few days to get all the listings back up, too. 

I always wondered if I had a cap on my monthly sales, as well. In the first couple of years, I would consistently sell the same amount, both in number of sales and $ value. I'd almost always have a good couple of weeks, and a bad couple of weeks.

I did manage to increase that from my initial limit, or maybe I just stuck around long enough for it to slowly edge up? It took me two years to reach my first sales goal of at least 100 sales in a month, and once I did, things have been not so bad most of the time. Christmas 2013 I tripled my usual sales (which was when I first topped that golden 100 ๐Ÿ˜„ ), and throughout the following year, I didn't have much of a drop-off from month to month. Can say almost exactly the same thing about Christmas last year (except for the tripling of sales - they did noticably increase, maybe doubled at the peak, and again didn't drop back too much at all afterwards, and I was expecting them to halve. Last week I was actually busier during the week than I was during Christmas o_O ). 

One thing to point out though, I have more than 10 x the stock, and stock value than I did when I was averaging around $750 worth of sales a month, but I certainly don't get 10 x the sales. Other contributing factors are lower value items making up a significant portion of sales, as well as selling in a more competitive market, albeit I try to stick to niche items and have many (many) more multi-quantity listings that help me in best match - I even sometimes spot my items in the "popular on eBay right now" side-bar when looking for things o_o . 

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

selling limits

@digital*ghost wrote:

@thecatspjs wrote:

I remember it at the time as the processinterefered with live listings and ended some sellers listings at the time, includingDGs I think ???

Yup - they wiped out my entire store late March, 2013 (I still have active listings from back then, so I can see when they were relisted right after that) - all that sales history, etc, gone in the blink of an eye. Not a nice thing to wake up to, particularly as a stern email from eBay about exceeding my limits was waiting for me in the morning. Took a few days to get all the listings back up, too. 

I always wondered if I had a cap on my monthly sales, as well. In the first couple of years, I would consistently sell the same amount, both in number of sales and $ value. I'd almost always have a good couple of weeks, and a bad couple of weeks.

I did manage to increase that from my initial limit, or maybe I just stuck around long enough for it to slowly edge up? It took me two years to reach my first sales goal of at least 100 sales in a month, and once I did, things have been not so bad most of the time. Christmas 2013 I tripled my usual sales (which was when I first topped that golden 100 ๐Ÿ˜„ ), and throughout the following year, I didn't have much of a drop-off from month to month. Can say almost exactly the same thing about Christmas last year (except for the tripling of sales - they did noticably increase, maybe doubled at the peak, and again didn't drop back too much at all afterwards, and I was expecting them to halve. Last week I was actually busier during the week than I was during Christmas o_O ). 

One thing to point out though, I have more than 10 x the stock, and stock value than I did when I was averaging around $750 worth of sales a month, but I certainly don't get 10 x the sales. Other contributing factors are lower value items making up a significant portion of sales, as well as selling in a more competitive market, albeit I try to stick to niche items and have many (many) more multi-quantity listings that help me in best match - I even sometimes spot my items in the "popular on eBay right now" side-bar when looking for things o_o . 

Excuse my naivety, I don't get it, how would you even know you have exceeded your limits ?  You would at least need to be advised by eBay that you are approaching your limits - surely ?  And how would you control your limits ?  Shut up shop ?

Sorry to sound so dumb . . . . . .

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

selling limits

@mbselections00 wrote:

Excuse my naivety, I don't get it, how would you even know you have exceeded your limits ?  You would at least need to be advised by eBay that you are approaching your limits - surely ?  And how would you control your limits ?  Shut up shop ?

Sorry to sound so dumb . . . . . .

No, not dumb - eBay explained it afterwards as a supposed system glitch. They had never imposed selling limits on that account, so I was just as confused (plus shocked, then angry Smiley LOL ) about what had happened and why.

Eventually, they came out with an explanation about old accounts never having selling limits when they should have (I think they might have updated something on the site so that old accounts that hadn't been in use or not used much, would have them if the member registered as a seller, and my store was caught in that update), but after that little fiasco, I still have never had any (visible) selling limits on that account (opened in 2008, so not really all that old in 2013, either). 

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

selling limits

saarzi
Community Member

My account is from 1999 -

I notice a selling limit in my data - I sell the same regardless of how many items I have listed - I started with 50 items, now have just over 200 and still sell the same amount per month as when I had 50.

I could not see any seller limits on my account.

So I called CS and they confirmed I do not have any seller limits.

I said what about hidden seller limits, or is my account being throttled, because my data is showing that it is -

She said I dont have any selling limits in my dashboard *that she can see* (completely ignoring me asking about hidden limits and throttling).

Theres a few threads about hidden sales limits / throttling / sales caps if you have a bit of a search - two employees have stated there is, and the CEO inadvertantly confirmed it to media. As you said, Ebays policy also.

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

selling limits

I doubt you can exceed the limit, which is what i wanted to know, and as a starting point to further investigate. It seems I have one but ebay will not tell me. I can sell $100,000 but ebay only let me sell $1000

I think it has been well established that ebay apply it through their search engine. Someone posting before called it throttling which is a better term.

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply