selling limits

I have been trying to find the selling limits on my account for ages so I contacted ebay (a call back, which online took like 1 minute) anway they said that because the account was created in 2003 there are no selling limits and I have unlimited selling. The woman I spoke to had to put me on hold to ask a superviser.

Can anyone with an old account confirm that they don't show any selling limits?

I could here the woman reading out to herself what was on the screen in front of her and she specifically read out "selling limits not dispayed". In ebays policy it also states that all accounts have selling limits, nothing about exceptions for accounts created before a particular date. She also seemed very surprised when I said "ok thanks for that", like she was expecting something else.

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

selling limits

My post befor was at the same time as yours gtx and wasn't a reply

So now I have a bit of legal ground because they didn't disclose these facts?

Message 11 of 17
Latest reply

selling limits

@mbselections00 wrote:

Excuse my naivety, I don't get it, how would you even know you have exceeded your limits ?  You would at least need to be advised by eBay that you are approaching your limits - surely ?  And how would you control your limits ?  Shut up shop ?

Sorry to sound so dumb . . . . . .

I don't think you can exceed your limit (if you have one). Well, not the listing limit anyway. If you have a selling limit of say 100 items a month, when you have around 10 left, each time you create a new listing, when you get to the last page that tells you you have successfully listed your item, there is a message that says something like "you can list 7 (or however many) more items this month. Contact eBay to request a higher selling limit". Once you reach 0, it won't let you list it.

Not sure what happens when you get close to the monetary limit, I haven't even got near that!!

Message 12 of 17
Latest reply

selling limits

@i-love-my-sheep wrote:

@mbselections00 wrote:

I don't think you can exceed your limit (if you have one). Well, not the listing limit anyway. If you have a selling limit of say 100 items a month, when you have around 10 left, each time you create a new listing, when you get to the last page that tells you you have successfully listed your item, there is a message that says something like "you can list 7 (or however many) more items this month. Contact eBay to request a higher selling limit". Once you reach 0, it won't let you list it.

Not sure what happens when you get close to the monetary limit, I haven't even got near that!!

AAh, ok, so that's the listing limit covered - I've never seen that message, and I think the most I have ever had listed at one time was around 700. 
So then presumably it is only the monetary value that is limited and is hidden and controlled by throttling ?

Message 13 of 17
Latest reply

selling limits

I,m extremely sceptical that ebay would apply hidden selling limits to our accounts. It just seems to defy logic.

Having said that it really seems the evidence is too overwhelming to ignore. It does not matter what I do I cant seem to break through a set figure that ebay seem to asigned to my accounts. One accout has no visible limits. The second account which is 18 months old, was linked to the first when started to avoid limits. It was immediatly givin a silly limit, similar to Clarrys in the first week. Maybe this is how ebay "encourage" us to tell them when we set up a second account so that they can be linked ( in more ways than one ) .

As the new account has grown sales, the older accounts sales have fallen in a mirror image. The new account has around 350 listings and has settled at sales of almost exactly the same dollar value as the old account which has 1700 listings. Added together the value of both accounts in any given month, 3 months or year, all add up to a very nice round figure. I wont disclose it here, but it is such a nice round number that it is uncanny that my combined yearly sales could just happen to match this number year in year out.  

I have a third private account in a different name and not linked to the two others. This account only uses the 40 freeby auctions or any other freebies that are going around. I can sell as much or as little as I want on this account without affecting my stores. So it would seem that non stores are not included in the non visible selling limits.

It has got to the point where I have resigned myself to the fact I wont sell any more here than my hidden ebay limit, so just do enough to reach this target in sales and go off somewhere else to make additional income. I can see that this makes it all self fullfilling phrophercy, but the fact that sales still magically hit the certain figure almost exactly regardless of what I do is just uncanny.

Message 14 of 17
Latest reply

selling limits

What you are saying almost exactly matches what we are seeing on our selling accounts.

Our monthly average so far this tax year is almost identical to the very dollar for what it was last year.

But this year we have three more selling accounts.

It's just too coincidental that this appears to be happening to other sellers as well.

There must be other unseen forces at work here and from what I've read ebay deliberately do it to make sure that their big box retailers get the lions share of the market as they have agreements in place with them. So the rest of us mere small time sellers are throttled back so they can achieve their contracted sales targets.

In our category there are no big box retailers. Just the Chinese bulk sellers who noramlly flood our category.

If we turn on the Australia ONLY search filter that eliminates these Chinese sellers (mostly) and our stuff is then usually right up near the top of the search results.

Message 15 of 17
Latest reply

selling limits

We listed 8 of our most popular line items from EBay onto Quicksales 7-months ago now. We get traffic reports but we have never had a single sale or enquiry.
So not too sure what the quick part means
Message 16 of 17
Latest reply

selling limits

@clarry100 wrote:
We listed 8 of our most popular line items from EBay onto Quicksales 7-months ago now. We get traffic reports but we have never had a single sale or enquiry.
So not too sure what the quick part means

Quick to see your sales die.

Message 17 of 17
Latest reply