sexually explicit items E Bay Australia

site120
Community Member

Can anyone out there shed a little light on an issue I have had running with E Bay Australia for a while now, Adult Only material is forbidden on E Bay Australia, here is a quick run down on their guidelines regarding Adult Only item:

Anything designed for use in sexual or adult activities may not be listed on eBay. At our discretion we may remove items including, but not limited to:

• Adult-orientated domain names

• Anatomically-accurate sex dolls

• Any item which, because of their nature or because of the item description, appear to be designed for use in sexual/adult activity

• Netsuke (miniature Japanese sculpture) that contains nudity or explicit sexual content may not be listed

• Nude playing cards or trading cards

• Sex toys

Now this is the policy on these items, why are there literally thousands of adult only listings on E Bay Australia from Australian sellers, besides the obvious(money), how does E Bay keep getting away with continually listing items and hosting online stores filled with adult items if it's in breach of their own policies???, complaining to E Bay does absolutely nothing, the ACCC won't touch it, can anyone point me in the right direction on this matter and which organisation I can make a complaint to, it's the fact that kids under the age of 18yrs have full access to E Bay and there is an abudance of very explicit material on E Bay Australia, there are also no warnings of adult material present on E Bay Australia on their home page or splash screens...thank you

Message 1 of 68
Latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

If the items fall under health and beauty, then they are ok. There is a special list from some recognized body floating around that allows some items top be classified under health and beauty.

forget what it is though, but if you can't find it (been posted a few times) someone else will know where it is

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 2 of 68
Latest reply

plus some of it is only restricted - look at the other info in the link where you got that from.

Message 3 of 68
Latest reply

ebay are not listing these. Members list items.

The site is for members on a trust basis and to comply with the rules.

ebay cannot vet listings and rely on reporting by members.

Children don't have access to ebay as every member needs to be 18 or over.

If children do access ebay, it will be because they have fraudulently opened an account or an adult has given a child permission against ebay rules.

Unfortunately it is always the few that spoil it for the rest.

Similarly I have pointed out to public libraries the type of sites children are able to access, far worse than ebay.

But since there is little filtering when it comes to the internet, most institutions are doing the best with what they have.

Upon the arrival of the internet in the late 80's, I advocated the problems it would cause in opening the door to an unregulated media. Not just immediate problems but the flow on effect and the changes that would happen within society decades later.

I still feel the only solution is to regulate and disallow certain content on the internet. Otherwise the internet remains unsafe for children.

image host
Message 4 of 68
Latest reply

To view items you don't have to be over 18, it is only to join that you need to be over 18. Ebay listings are not private they are in the public domain.
Message 5 of 68
Latest reply

Thanks cats, yes you are right. I forgot about viewing as a guest.

Once again it comes down to what content should be available on the internet.

image host
Message 6 of 68
Latest reply

You're spot on Kopes.

However, the OP seems only to be concerned with what is on eBay Australia.

One site out of many.

Message 7 of 68
Latest reply

I am unsure why the OP is so concerned about adult items on ebay Australia, if it is because children may see them then she is kidding herself if she thinks those children cannot access and view sites which sell many more 'adult' items than you will ever see on ebay even on most other sites where adult content is allowed.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 8 of 68
Latest reply

Even if there were warnings, who would they be for? Do you think those warnings would deter kids who were looking for that kind of stuff?

Quite the contrary, I would think.

The best safeguard is not allowing children unfettered and unsupervised access to the Internet. Do children really need personal devices with Internet access?

Message 9 of 68
Latest reply

I think the OP is concerned because it is an offence not to have the required warnings in place. 

I am always concerned when eBay activity may breach Australian legislation - for whatever reason.  I think it reflects poorly on the brand and our trading place.

It does nothing to increase buyer or seller confidence that eBay trust and safety are active.

Message 10 of 68
Latest reply