sexually explicit items E Bay Australia

site120
Community Member

Can anyone out there shed a little light on an issue I have had running with E Bay Australia for a while now, Adult Only material is forbidden on E Bay Australia, here is a quick run down on their guidelines regarding Adult Only item:

Anything designed for use in sexual or adult activities may not be listed on eBay. At our discretion we may remove items including, but not limited to:

• Adult-orientated domain names

• Anatomically-accurate sex dolls

• Any item which, because of their nature or because of the item description, appear to be designed for use in sexual/adult activity

• Netsuke (miniature Japanese sculpture) that contains nudity or explicit sexual content may not be listed

• Nude playing cards or trading cards

• Sex toys

Now this is the policy on these items, why are there literally thousands of adult only listings on E Bay Australia from Australian sellers, besides the obvious(money), how does E Bay keep getting away with continually listing items and hosting online stores filled with adult items if it's in breach of their own policies???, complaining to E Bay does absolutely nothing, the ACCC won't touch it, can anyone point me in the right direction on this matter and which organisation I can make a complaint to, it's the fact that kids under the age of 18yrs have full access to E Bay and there is an abudance of very explicit material on E Bay Australia, there are also no warnings of adult material present on E Bay Australia on their home page or splash screens...thank you

Message 1 of 68
Latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

And then something like this happens ....

eBay Sellers Get the Shaft from eBay Sponsored Links

Message 11 of 68
Latest reply

http://search-au.funnelback.com/s/search.html?collection=tga-artg

I think this is the link.

Australian register of Therapeutic Goods, which can be supplied in Australia.

it includes sexually explicit items.

But classified as "therapeutic" so under health

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 12 of 68
Latest reply

IMO the issue raised is not about supply of therapeutic goods within Australia.

The issue raised in the OP are about the promotion of restricted content.

Therapeutic goods codes and guidelines offer additional consumer protections.

Message 13 of 68
Latest reply

@site120 wrote:

Can anyone out there shed a little light on an issue I have had running with E Bay Australia for a while now, Adult Only material is forbidden on E Bay Australia, here is a quick run down on their guidelines regarding Adult Only item:

Anything designed for use in sexual or adult activities may not be listed on eBay. At our discretion we may remove items including, but not limited to:

• Adult-orientated domain names

• Anatomically-accurate sex dolls

• Any item which, because of their nature or because of the item description, appear to be designed for use in sexual/adult activity

• Netsuke (miniature Japanese sculpture) that contains nudity or explicit sexual content may not be listed

• Nude playing cards or trading cards

• Sex toys

Now this is the policy on these items, why are there literally thousands of adult only listings on E Bay Australia from Australian sellers, besides the obvious(money), how does E Bay keep getting away with continually listing items and hosting online stores filled with adult items if it's in breach of their own policies???, complaining to E Bay does absolutely nothing, the ACCC won't touch it, can anyone point me in the right direction on this matter and which organisation I can make a complaint to, it's the fact that kids under the age of 18yrs have full access to E Bay and there is an abudance of very explicit material on E Bay Australia, there are also no warnings of adult material present on E Bay Australia on their home page or splash screens...thank you

The regulator of this area is the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA).
Link to report offensive content is http://www.acma.gov.au/Citizen/Take-action/Complaints/Internet-content-complaints/online-content-com...
Message 14 of 68
Latest reply

Hi cats ๐Ÿ™‚

if you look, I was replying to Crikey's post, to provide her with the link she was after. I believe she was originally given that source by eBay, as to what could be sold here without problems. When she was surprised as to some of the items on sale here.

few months ago now. As eBay was referring to items for sale under Health and Beauty. Where this covers health.

Which, would appear to allow sale of otherwise "restricted content" items...but as Crikey spoke with them, not me, that is all I can go on regarding the link I provided ๐Ÿ™‚

Regardless, clearly eBay should be following their own policies and removing reported items that breach them.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 15 of 68
Latest reply

So, if certain items appeared under Health and Beauty, and on that register, a seller could argue that gave them the right to sell them here. But I would hope eBay would consider this platform and its policies when making decisions as to yes or no.

which is relevant to the OP, where they ask why eBay allows content in breach of their own policies.

should they? No. But maybe this is a loophole for sellers.

Message 16 of 68
Latest reply

OP:  While I totally agree and having a young kid at home I do worry about these sorts of things, but unfortunately anyone with any internet access anywhere can type in any search keyword and be confronted with all kinds of racist/sexually explicit/hate-filled/violent/illegal images and videos at the touch of a button, INSTANTLY.  I think them coming across an adult toy image is probably the least of our worries, unfortunately.

My son is 16 months old and I wonder what sort of access to everything he is going to have in the future, I think it more comes down to us staying on top of family education and answering questions truthfully and tactfully, so the children would be both less likely to be curious, and more likely to use better judgement.

amxsuperstores - Australia's three largest motorcycle accessories superstores.
Message 17 of 68
Latest reply

@amber-eyed-girl wrote:

So, if certain items appeared under Health and Beauty, and on that register, a seller could argue that gave them the right to sell them here. But I would hope eBay would consider this platform and its policies when making decisions as to yes or no.

which is relevant to the OP, where they ask why eBay allows content in breach of their own policies.

should they? No. But maybe this is a loophole for sellers.

eBay policy is pretty  clear, as outlined in the OP.

The law on the protections that need to be in place to publish Adult R+ images on the internet is also clear and I have no doubt that eBay is aware of that too.

The only doubt or loopholes about whether these should be removed are the furphys others seem to try and create.

Message 18 of 68
Latest reply

Clearly, eBay should be abiding by its own policies.

if fhat means they can have adult material on public view without warning, then they need to fix up the "loopholes" or post a warning that there is adult content...in answer to the OP, all we can do as members, is

report any items which look in breach of policy

tell eBay what "we think"

but that, unfortunately, is it..unless there are items so flagrantly flouting the law that it can be taken further.

cats, no, there should not be loopholes and the ability to misinterpret policy, its up to eBay to follow the law and design policy that fits the law. Then there can be no grey areas.

no furphys, cats, that link is provided by eBay to explain why this stuff is on sale here.

Sellers happily stay on eBay for years selling explicit items. They are obviously getting past policy somehow.

so, OP, just report anything you think does not meet guidelines here or the law.

Message 19 of 68
Latest reply

Purely to gauge if eBay does act quickly to remove in response to reports of these goods, I reported five listings earlier to today.  They have all been removed.

BUT the same seller has several other similar items listed that are still live.

Not good enough as a number of these even include sex toys in the title.

Reporting to eBay is one action members can take.

In addition reporting it to the Australian watch dog is another.

Message 20 of 68
Latest reply