what is the optimum size for ebay photographs? After all this time.... i still dont know :(

can anyone tell me the dimensions of a perfect ebay pic? my pics never seem to fill the little box to the right of the ad headline...so when buyers go thru searching for stuff my pics dont give maximum impact because they are smaller than the dimensions of the box. And in as plain language as possible please. i am a complete dunderhead when it comes to coputers..Woman Frustrated 

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: what is the optimum size for ebay photographs? After all this time.... i still dont know :(

I use software to resize mine 1600 by 1600

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Re: what is the optimum size for ebay photographs? After all this time.... i still dont know :(

When it comes to filling available space, it's not about specific dimensions as such, but the shape of the image. eBay provides for square images, so if a non-square (i.e. rectangular) image is uploaded, it can only fill in the maximum width or height of that space, whereas a square image can obviously fit into a square shape.

So, to meet eBay's requirements and fill all of the space, try to upload images that are are at least 500 x 500 pixels, or larger. (I personally upload 800 x 800 pics most of the time, which ensures the zoom function is enabled but keeps file sizes down a bit). 

If a non-square image is more suitable for the item, you're betting off uploading tall images (portrait), to get the maximum allowable height for the listing in search results, as gallery images with landscape orientation (longer pics) don't get filled out with blank space at the top or bottom, so they get less space in search results etc. 

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

The minimum is 500 pixels on the shortest side. This will fill the box for gallery pictures but it's not big enough for zoom to work when people open the listing.

I think they recommend at least 1600 pixels now. My old pictures are about 800 x 600 but when I do new pictures I make them a bit bigger than this.

When you upload your picture to your computer, edit it in Paint by clicking on Resize. You can set it to reduce by percentage or you can set the pixel size you want it to be (set the pixels for one dimension and the other one will automatically be in proportion to it).
Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Just checked and most of mine are 684 x 497 but I don't think they're big enough to use zoom on.

As digital*ghost said, to fill the box you need to have a rectangle, and the shortest side needs to be fairly close to three-quarters of the length of the longest side, eg. 600 x 800 pixels.

When you scan or take a photo, it'll probably be in these proportions, but if you crop your pictures it'll change. If you just shrink the pictures they stay in the same proportions.
Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

@englishrosegardens wrote:

As digital*ghost said, to fill the box you need to have a rectangle,

....but DG said you need square images (which you do ๐Ÿ˜› )

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Yes, sorry, I mis-read that bit. I, er, interpreted according to what I thought was the case.

I also noticed that the box for pictures in the listings is square, but the box for gallery pics when browsing is rectangular, at least before the pictures appear in it. I'm pretty sure both used to be rectangular. I haven't taken much notice of that for a while.

I scan most of my pictures and I leave them as rectangles, otherwise I'd lose part of the picture and buyers wouldn't get a good idea of the scale. They still show up quite clearly in both browsing and in the listing - much better than if I took a photo.

The main thing is that the pictures are big enough to show the item clearly.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

thanks, i do use paintnet but i have no idea what i'm doing!! .. well now youve helped me i sort of do, so thankx for that ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply