what plans does ebay have to save sellers from closing their stores resulting from coronavirus

Message 1 of 33
Latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

what plans does ebay have to save sellers from closing their stores resulting from coronavirus

Um, they are just a platform. Why would they have any responsibility to 'save' sellers. That is like saying that your telco should 'save' sellers because businesses use phones, or that auto companies should 'save' sellers because many businesses use delivery services.

My business might well go down the gurgler because of this situation but it is up to me to try new things and adapt, which I am trying. I am not blaming my store platform (not Ebay) or asking them to help me.

Latest reply

At the end of the day consumers prioritise their spending accordingly.  At this particular odd time, Consumer Discretionary is heading downward while Consumer Staples are holding up.  My guess is the vast majority of eBay sellers are in the former category.

Two good indicators on the ASX sector graphs bottom of page here:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/business/

Secondly, eBay have issued information to sellers here:

https://sellercentre.ebay.com.au/covid-19-coronavirus-updates

Message 3 of 33
Latest reply

Many people will be staying home and saving on petrol and entertainment costs so they'll have more money to spend online. Many will be too scared to go out to the shops and will spend online instead.
Message 4 of 33
Latest reply

We'll be right - we have the NBN ! Smiley Surprised

Message 5 of 33
Latest reply

We will be alright too.....we don't have the NBN.Smiley LOL

Message 6 of 33
Latest reply

I sell a mix of discretionary collectibles and items that become more sought after in difficult times. ( to suit the DIY market where people decide to save a few bucks by doing stuff themselves rather than pay other professionals. ) My sales are holding steady and have actually improved quite a bit in the last few days. 

Its up to sellers to design their businesses to meet changing consumer patterns. Sellers cant expect ebay to hold their hands and do this for them.

Message 7 of 33
Latest reply

I'm hoping people will be so bored that they'll get stuck into their crafting hobbies. Trouble is a lot of them already have enough supplies to last five lifetimes. It doesn't seem to be stopping a lot of them though. A cross stitch designer in Australia started her annual sale three days ago and she's been run off her feet with sales. I think it's just because her facebook group has grown a lot in the last year and people have shown a lot more pictures of their finished and partly done work but she thinks it's because people are shut in and are bored. A few people in Italy have said since they've been shut in they've got a lot more stitching done than ever before and a lot of Americans are saying they're looking forward to being stuck at home for a while.
Message 8 of 33
Latest reply

@brerrabbit585 wrote:
Many people will be staying home and saving on petrol and entertainment costs so they'll have more money to spend online. Many will be too scared to go out to the shops and will spend online instead.

I had that exact thought today and have started listing again. I myself am staying home more which got me thinking about how domestic online sales should increase, given that people are now not going out unless they have to. Always a silver lining

Message 9 of 33
Latest reply

It all depends what you're selling and who your target market is. Some will have less money to spend because they don't have work but others will have either the same or more. Some people will get bored, and when they get bored they'll start buying.
Message 10 of 33
Latest reply