who's at fault here

I recently had a buyer tell me that his package was left in the sun. He seen the van drive off and he didnt think the postman left the item so he went back into the house. Low and behold the driver actually did leave it but as he seldom goes to his front door he didnt see it until the next day. 

I just received this email

I purchased two frangipani from you recently - we exchanged correspondence about Australia Post having left the parcel on my front doorstep in the sun.

One plant is doing well. I believe the other has died - certainly its leaf has - and did so immediately. I have waited to see if the stem shoots but it has not. I have attached a photo for your reference.

Do you provide a replacement plant in this instance?

MY REPLY

Well to be fair I think we need a third party to mediate on this one.Pay Pal. 

But first I would like you to look at this from my side.
I posted the item and clearly marked on package ... caution not to be left in the sun.Also a sticker saying LIVE PLANT was attached. If I replace the one that died thats saying its my fault. It means if I send another, after postage I make nothing , in fact, I lose and it costs me more to replace the item . On the other hand , if I don't replace the item theres a chance you will give me 3 stars or less when you evaluate me re feed back which according to the new ebay rules will see me suspended for 7 to 28 days . I guaranteed I would send the item express. Once it arrives I can't guarantee even if a dog comes and eats the package like what happened just recently to a buyer.

If your unhappy with the way it was delivered then you can go to your post office and show them the dead plant and they will give you a claim form.
So what do you think is a fair thing for me to do?...Louise

I was just  told I was defensive 

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

who's at fault here

Certainly not your fault in the slightest. 

If one is expecting a parcel, one might consider checking the usual places a parcel is left once or twice a day.

If one sees a van drive away from ones property, particularly when one is expecting a package, one might consider checking the usual places a parcel may be left.

Notwithstanding, not all of my Frangipanis are presently shooting either.  Ergo, applying the logic of your Buyer, they are dead.  Methinks not!

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

who's at fault here

@luvyourgarden wrote:

I was just  told I was defensive 

I'm sorry, but I do think you were a little bit defensive. Smiley Embarassed

Your buyer actually just asked a simple question, near as I can tell, and there didn't seem to be any blame, or accusation about it being your fault that I could see, I think they just wanted to know whether the circumstances meant a replacement could be acceptable. 

In all honesty, if I were the buyer I probably would have just accepted it as one of those things and not even thought about asking the seller for any kind of remedy, but the best thing to do when you get messages like that is to remove all personal feelings from the equation and simply address the issue / questions in a calm, matter of fact way, with a focus on what you can do rather than what you won't, if you know what I mean? (eg something like "I'm very sorry to hear the plant was mishandled and the delivery wasn't brought to your attention, resulting in damage to the plant. Unfortunately, my store policies don't cover plants in these kinds of circumstances, but I would be very happy to support a damage claim via Australia Post in any way I am able", (and/or anything else you may wish to offer or provide) and so on). 

The buyer really doesn't need to know about the circumstances of another, unrelated transaction with a different buyer, and they definitely don't need to be resented up front about any potential defects they might cause via feedback. 

Message 2 of 28
Latest reply

who's at fault here

😞 From reading your post, I would think it was the buyers "fault" for not actually going to the front door. He saw the van drive off. He knew that he was expeecting a delivery. Common Sense would surely say, open the front door & have a look.  The Front door may not get the Sun, but at some stage during the day , it may ?? It is a bit iffy to blame anyone, as it is just one of those silly little things that happen. Hope you can resolve this little problem 🙂 

Message 3 of 28
Latest reply

who's at fault here

Certainly not your fault in the slightest. 

If one is expecting a parcel, one might consider checking the usual places a parcel is left once or twice a day.

If one sees a van drive away from ones property, particularly when one is expecting a package, one might consider checking the usual places a parcel may be left.

Notwithstanding, not all of my Frangipanis are presently shooting either.  Ergo, applying the logic of your Buyer, they are dead.  Methinks not!

Message 4 of 28
Latest reply

who's at fault here

I would be inclined to replace the cutting as it doesn't cost you anything, however I would ask them if they would mind paying half of the postage. You might just avoid a neg
Message 5 of 28
Latest reply

who's at fault here

Did you let the buyer know that frangipani cuttings can survive for up to 6 months before planting.

Some cuttings die a natural death when they are planted due to over/under watering.

It can take months for a cutting to shoot roots once potted.  The leaves will naturally die off during this time.  It may look dead and then one day the tips turn green and shoot leaves.

Think your buyer is jumping the gun about a dead cutting.

Every time I have purchased frangi cuttings online I have been sent an extra cutting "just in case" one did not survive.  I have found a 50% die off rate if they are sent from a different state probably due to extreme temperature changes if in the back of a hot truck for days at a time.

EDIT:  Not your fault your buyer disregarded the delivery truck leaving the premises with parcel outside in all weather conditions for 24+ hours.  Most people check their mail if expecting a delivery.  AP drivers do not ring your door bell and say "AP here with a parcel".

Message 6 of 28
Latest reply

who's at fault here

are we talking about blame or accountability?

Clealry the seller isnt to blame. However this is 2014 on ebay. as Such sellers are accountable for everything even if its not their fault. Send them another one wear it and move on.

Message 7 of 28
Latest reply

who's at fault here

If it was a cutting I wouldnt hesitate. I imported the seed and grew and cared for it for over a year. 

Message 8 of 28
Latest reply

who's at fault here

Yes, I think I was defensive but OMG, as soon as I get a sniff of a problem on goes the armour . I have already been demoted because of a neg I received from a possible scammer. another seller came on here complaining of the exact same problem from the same buyer. WHO ISNT DEFENSIVE now with all whats going on ?...I would love to know...

I know I know...its ok to be defensive but not show it to the buyer ..Right?

They say   write the letter...wait 10 mins ....tear it up ...the write it again....I guess I should practise that but thats harder than quitting the cigs...

Message 9 of 28
Latest reply

who's at fault here

Ask if they would be comfortable with a partial refund ? Since 1 is going great & the other ??? ( who knows, it make start to shoot new leaves )  say half. I can't see why they wouldn't be happy.  🙂 Sometimes, it's just about making them happy. 

Message 10 of 28
Latest reply