why can an unregistered bidder bid on your items?

Just curious recently someone bid on one of my items without being a registered user and never paid

they also bought items from other sellers without paying I only know they were unregistered by a email from ebay

I applied for a upi strike and recieved a fee refund anyone else have this problem?

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: why can an unregistered bidder bid on your items?

People can make a limited number of transactions signing in as a guest without having to register an account. You have received a refund so are not any worse off than if they had not purchased so just put it down to a severe case of numptiness and forget it.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

WOW glad I wont be here by then

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

not worse off? well yes you get the fees back and you can relist the item. but you lost a week of the item being listed. you saw it had a bid so you searched through your stock and found it and put in your 'will sell pile'. possibly got it ready for posting except for the packing slip. if you have to do an item not paid for you could be another 4 days waiting for that to finalise after waiting 4 days and not getting paid.

i rekon thats worse off in my opinion.

only registered members should be able to bid also in my opinion.

at least then they get a strike for mucking you around.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

True the inconvience is annoying I spend more than usual time on my listings as I have music and special templates

I like to make it an interesting buying experience.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

Not to forget the fact that the whole eBay experience has been built from the ground up on feedback, and someone can come in as a guest and bypass it all!
Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

@vintage2201 wrote:

Just curious recently someone bid on one of my items without being a registered user and never paid

they also bought items from other sellers without paying I only know they were unregistered by a email from ebay

I applied for a upi strike and recieved a fee refund anyone else have this problem?

It sounds like it was an auction - if so, the member would have been registered at the time they placed the bid, then deregistered shortly after, because people who use eBay as a guest can only purchase Buy It Now items (they also can not leave feedback for their purchases unless they register). 

If you don't like the thought of guest users purchasing items, though, you can reduce them by enabling the block on members who have not been phone verified (Account > Site Preferences > Buyer Requirements). 

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

I don't want to sell enough to become a business seller in eBay's eyes because then I'll lose AR and have to pay out a lot of money in listing fees. But I need as many sales as possible up to that limit, and for every non-payer I get it means I lose out on a sale to someone else who would have paid. So non-payments and cancellations do affect some of us quite a lot!
Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

If you are buying things to resell then you are a business seller anyway.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

I'm not talking about being a business in the real world or for tax purposes, I'm talking about eBay's definitions of a business seller, which are a totally different thing.
Message 10 of 11
Latest reply