would you trust a 0 fb buyer from Ukraine?

so i've had an enquiry from a buyer on a magazine i've listed, they have been registered since Sep 18 but have 0 feedback, located in Ukraine. I had not setup blocks on 0 fb buyers but considering doing so. I could be wrong but i think Ukraine & some Eastern European countries are considered countries where there is quite alot of online fraud? And with 0 fb i'm a bit worried they might do a chargeback claiming not to receive it.

Then again its not like its a really high value item likely to attract scammers. Would you trust them?

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: would you trust a 0 fb buyer from Ukraine?

I think when in doubt, don't.

It seems like an odd answer to me, I suspect they were trying to explain why they haven't bought much (or anything) on ebay since they joined.

Are they genuine? I can't tell, but 0 feedback, from Ukraine, away for long stretches-I'd probably be hesitant too. What if they did buy then promptly told you to post to another address (other than that listed on ebay or paypal) where they would be on their next business trip? You'd have to say no but that might not go down well.

Personally, I'd have a think about what countries you don't feel confident about selling to, and block those areas totally.

Message 11 of 19
Latest reply

Everyone has to start somewhere, just make sure you post with tracking
Message 12 of 19
Latest reply

@clickbaitoz wrote:

I just msged them to let them know my concern & asked them if they ever bought anything on ebay since they joined, they responded, 'I'm gone for a long time. I go on business trips' which seems like an odd answer to me. i think i will go with my instinct & put them on bbl.

That actually sounds to me like they were trying to explain why they haven't bought anything since they joined. I spend a lot of time communicating with people who don't speak English as their first language, which has some common nuances regardless of their first language, so I've learned how to re-contextualise what they say, at least somewhat.

You have to remember they generally need to translate what you've said into their language, and then translate a reply back into English, and the fact that you're asking them that question would indicate there needs to be a reason why not, which is what many people (even native English-speakers) will respond to, so if you ask them if they've bought anything since they joined, their response reads to me more like, no, because I went on a business trip (which I do often) and was gone for a while after I joined

I'm not encouraging you to change your mind about adding them to the BBL, though, I certainly haven't had 100% trouble-free transactions when sending to the Ukraine, had one last year that was really sketchy and I opted not to go through with it as well, I'm just pointing out that often times you can't interpret a response from a non-native English speaker as though it was given by a native English speaker. 

Message 13 of 19
Latest reply

@gillians_gallery wrote:
Everyone has to start somewhere, just make sure you post with tracking

Maybe they should try starting with purchases from the Ukraine.

Message 14 of 19
Latest reply

Tracking sure, but tracking does not help if it a suspect account created just to obtain email addresses and as such has no feedback

It happens

Message 15 of 19
Latest reply

'I'm gone for a long time. I go on business trips' 

That reminds me of the style that many Nigerian scams use.

image host
Message 16 of 19
Latest reply

No. Certainly not on an expensive item. Too many ways to get defrauded.
Message 17 of 19
Latest reply

there is af unction to block buyers that have 5 or under feedback ,  BUT ebay themselves override your selling preferences  and allow anyone to buy anything the want.

A few things to check ;

1  -  If the delivery address is the same on ebay and paypal

2  -  Message the buyer and get them to confirm the delivery address ( this does 2 things , if they reply quickly and with same details they will most likely not be trying to duop you ) ( if they dont reply then there is a problem )

3  -  Make sure the country you are sending to allow that tyoe item into their country 

4  -  If you can Fully Insure you item through postage then you have nothing to worry about.  ( if they loose say its damaged  blah blah you have the insurance from the postage company so you still get paid )

5 -  if you have further different concerns you can ring Paypal and ask if details have changed on that account  ( they wont give you details but will say things like  ''  no address changes lately"

Message 18 of 19
Latest reply

@elderbluedragon wrote:

there is af unction to block buyers that have 5 or under feedback ,  BUT ebay themselves override your selling preferences  and allow anyone to buy anything the want.

A few things to check ;

1  -  If the delivery address is the same on ebay and paypal

2  -  Message the buyer and get them to confirm the delivery address ( this does 2 things , if they reply quickly and with same details they will most likely not be trying to duop you ) ( if they dont reply then there is a problem )

3  -  Make sure the country you are sending to allow that tyoe item into their country 

4  -  If you can Fully Insure you item through postage then you have nothing to worry about.  ( if they loose say its damaged  blah blah you have the insurance from the postage company so you still get paid )

5 -  if you have further different concerns you can ring Paypal and ask if details have changed on that account  ( they wont give you details but will say things like  ''  no address changes lately"

EBay removed the block to block buyers with less than 5 feedback, or were unverified, several months ago. Cleck your blocks.

Message 19 of 19
Latest reply