Asking for a friend: $250 in books sales per week?

Er...a friend wants to know:

Sales totalling an average of $250 in books sales a week - of books of an eBay average sale value of between $15 and $30 a piece. The titles all used Australiana (mostly local histories).

On those sums, a total of between 8 and 16 sales per week would be required.

So my learned and eBay weary friends: what are the chances? In this age of rising fees, drop-shippers, postage issues & more....could it be done? How many hundreds/thousands of listings would it require?

Yes, my friend realises this requires a fair amount of speculations, but just humour her okay?

GB x

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Asking for a friend: $250 in books sales per week?

Depends on the books. If they are in very good condition and are sought-after titles, good books rather than popular history, I would think she can reach that target. My sister sold her Aust history collection on ebay over a few months, and they sold very well. Good luck
Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

I'm selling about 50 a month on 800 listings. But most are general fiction and don't fetch those sort of prices. But also have more competition. And dropshippers are unlikely to have access to your friend's sorts of titles.

Does she want $250 in sales or profit? For profit, she'd have to allow for another 20% in sales probably. Shop fees, listing fees, FVF, Paypal fees would run close to that.

Call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye - Don Henley
Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

There is no chance.None at all.I sell local histories and other Australiana and I could only wish for those types of figures a week

Dave

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

Always a ray of sunshine, aren't you Dave?

If they are Castlereigh's you would be able to sell about one a week and hit the target.

I would suggest putting a toe in. For a non store-holding member, you get 40 free listings a month. Put a few up at auction, with a reasonable starting price, and see how they go. If they sell at minimum or time out, then 'No', probably not a viable option for the $ needed.

If they get reasonable sales/prices your friend could look at a store where you get 80 free lisitngs a month for $20 and 5c listing fees. For buy it now listings that can run for 30 days.

You never know when things will sell. I have had sales on the day I listed, 2 months after, 12 months after.

Call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye - Don Henley
Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Pete is right if you do not give it a lash you will never know.Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Castlereigh's I dream about finding

Dave

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

5 years ago it would have been easy done...  I am selling some Aust Hist myself and not much interest as yet.

C

(previously booksngolf)

Photobucket
Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Probably if you listed 500 Buy it now non-fiction titles under $20 with free postage  with open offers and take most of the offers you might be lucky - as it stands at the moment if you can sell 10% of your listings you're doing well. Or... find titles that no-one else sells on Ebay and that have a high retail - then list as previously outlined and hope for the best. It's hard yacca now... tell her she's better off stacking groceries at the supermarket!!

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

This is an old but good topic, wondering how or what your friend ended up doing?

Personally I only list online these days if I have something really hot.

For the time and effort required to list books and then follow up with the posting and feedback, I am happy to continue on in the B&M and toss anything that doesn't sell.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Er....I didn't tell her too much of what was said here, lest she get depressed!

I coulda' sworn this was once a much more cheery place!

GB x

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply