Difficulty in Purchasing [Legal] Music Downloads from USA

Does anyone have any advise about purchasing LEGAL music downloads from USA?

I have been desperately trying to purchase a download of a hard to find LP set.  It is available on Amazon.com, however, when I enter my address it states they do not "ship" to my address.  It is not available on Amazon.com.au.

I'm not very familiar with the concept of downloaded music because I tend to purchase CDs [dinosaur that I am] but this particular LP set is so prohibitively expensive, I want to go the download route.  As far as I know the LP set is not available as CDs either.

I know from past experience Amazon.com will not send some items to Australia, however, I was surprised to find this with music downloads as I kinda thought this was the whole purpose of downloads.

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Downloaded music has its own country-specific or region-specific copyright issues.

There are of course ways to bypass this, but I can't give any information on that.

If it's a simple address issue, you can sign up to a parcel forwarding company (e.g., comGateway, or anything similar) in the US, and specify the address given to you by that company as the delivery address for your item. However, I doubt that this would solve the issue you're having; as far as I am aware, when it comes to purchasing downloads, the site will also check the potential buyer's IP address which is country-specific.

I hope you have good luck with this dilemma.

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

Amazon decided not to collect GST on imports, so they blocked Australians from all their sites except .au. That is why you can't purchase from .com.

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

Thank you both for your comments.

It makes absolutely no sense to me they refuse to make legal downloads available when there are so many issues with illegal downloads or pirated music.

I will investigate whether the music I want is available on a subscription service.

Thank you both again.

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply