How to KILL the AU used book sales and cost Aust Post $

I have posted this on the PS forum but as many bookies dont seem to go there I will post here as well

--

I knew they would arrive on the AU eBay site eventuatly.

This company worldofbooks-australia they are part of the UK giant and they are bulk flooding the book section

They state that they are in Wahroonga, New South Wales but thats not correct from the emails I have received from them, they are shipping from the UK and eBay is allowing them to LIE about their stock location. What they have in Australia is a PO box only and all their contact details including phone numbers are all in the UK

Now most of us the used book sellers can compete on price all be it bare bones and near go out the door pricing BUT what costs us $11.20 (standard AP 3KG bag price) to post interstate they are shipping to Australia for $2.99 and AP are delivering it for FREE.

So how much will AP lose this year that they will pass onto us ($22 million last year) if there is any of us bookies left to sell and post on here that is.

So a question for AP, how do we in Australia compete with you delivering these items for FREE and compete with the super low UK postage prices compared to our prices.

Answer is .. we cant.

PS their address in Wahroonga that they claim they are shipping from, is actually to a PO box of a lawyers office

Message 1 of 82
Latest reply
81 REPLIES 81

Re: How to KILL the AU used book sales and cost Aust Post $

Have wondered how theire postage is so cheap. Thank you for explaining.

As you say, not alot we can do about it.

Just cant understand why Ebay dont take better care of the little sellers too. The "Books of the World" size companies just continue to sell from their own websites - we little guys just close up.

From not being able to leave negative feedback as a Seller, lack of seller support, unfair international trade, Australia Post inadequacies, no wonder Craigslist, Quicksales and the likes are increasing in popularity in Australia.

Being a little guy, playing fair, trying to make a living is getting harder and harder.

Message 81 of 82
Latest reply

Re: How to KILL the AU used book sales and cost Aust Post $

WOBA pretty much have all their listings showing UK now. They upped their postage a few months ago and will probably have to again as Royal Mail are supposed to be raising costs to more realistic levels (I hope).

The book I bought from them arrived in less than a week and was posted from Melbourne. There is no way they made a profit on it. They cost average, but deserve to get burnt for selling a $30 book for $9 including postage. Still, that takes their only copy out of circulation. Unless I try to sell it.

Who knows? The previous information in this thread is FOUR MONTHS old.

Call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye - Don Henley
Message 82 of 82
Latest reply