correct ISBN rejected when listing

Hi fellow booksellers,

I've started adding ISBNs to some new listings, even though they are 2nd hand books, in the hope that it might help boost search results. I only tend to use ebay's pre-filled catalogue for newer books

However, I am getting a few ISBNs rejected when I go to list, even though they are correct - as printed in the book. When this happens I just change it to "does not apply".

Is anyone else experiencing this? Also interested to see whether others think it is worthwhile using ISBN for older  books?

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I use them for my 99% of listings; pre-ISBN I use 'does not apply'.

Never had one rejected, but.

I also never use eBay's prefills. Ever. Period. They have as much knowledge about books as they have about selling 2nd hand goods online.

Call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye - Don Henley

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

I never use them: if you Google the ISBN it will take you everywhere except Ebay (unless it's in your title)....too easy to compare 🙂
Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

Ok, interesting point, thanks!
Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

I've had this problem too. Some book categories eg Street Directories have an ISBN mandatory. But how do you put one in for a 50 yr old directory? You can't! So to list I used a made up one or one eBay supplied (can't remember which). I enquired with Ebay why the ISBN was mandatory but it's been 2 weeks now with no reply.

I could list these directories in antique and collectable but in this instance eBay actually has a category specific to the listing but to use it with an incorrect ISBN makes the listing incorrect. Go figure!   

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

they are only 'required' for new items 🙂
Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

I use them for my 99% of listings; pre-ISBN I use 'does not apply'.

Never had one rejected, but.

I also never use eBay's prefills. Ever. Period. They have as much knowledge about books as they have about selling 2nd hand goods online.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

I use them 99% of the time as well. I also use the catalogue, but check it carefully because sometimes the catalogue says its a hardcover when you are holding a softcover in your hand, and I have had my stars trashed because the buyer thought they were getting a hardcover (eBay's description comes at the top) and they didn't read my own description describing a softcover! Sometimes when the isbn on the book doesn't match, google it and see if there is a different isbn for the exact same book and cover! I use the isbn on the older books in the hope that they become more "visible" Cat Happy

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

can't be bothered going through every box and inserting the isbn. Just go into the unsold folder and check does not apply. Use the ISBN to list everything, much quicker that way and just have to change the picture sometimes if a different one to the book I'm listing comes up

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

@misterforgetfulsbooks wrote:

can't be bothered going through every box and inserting the isbn. Just go into the unsold folder and check does not apply. Use the ISBN to list everything, much quicker that way and just have to change the picture sometimes if a different one to the book I'm listing comes up

I suppose that is the difference. Us small sellers make sure that what we list is what we've got, not something vaguely, given eBay's demonstrated ability to provide inapt details, similar.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

Good advice - If you list  using ISBNS it will take lookers to off-ebay sites where the item usually will be cheaper than yours. Never use it.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply