postage for books

I have a few boxes of 1st edition books to sell and was wondering what is the best way to tackle postage. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Message 1 of 35
Latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

postage for books

I should have been a bit more clear I guess. I want to sell each book as a single item and was wanting opinions on the best postage option. Is it better to do free postage, in which case is the cost of postage added to the book price? How do you then know what postage would have been to each part of Australia? And if not doing free postage, is there an economical way to post books in comparison to other items?
Message 2 of 35
Latest reply

postage for books

It will depend on what the books weigh - how big they are and things like that.

Get yourself a set of scales and weigh your books anything over 500g a 3kg satchel is your best best. Prices for the these are on the APO website but you can go via Ebay for posting - sorry it's been a while and not sure what the Ebay one is called now, prices are the same wherever they go in Aust.

500g and under can go in a 500g satchel or if thin enough as a large letter. Check weights on APO website. Make sure your items are tracked.

Sure someone else will come along with more info.

Message 3 of 35
Latest reply

postage for books

Thanks so much for responding! So you would recommend postage costs separate and not going with the free postage? I must admit to being so confused with the free postage option and can only assume you add the postage costs into the price. I think this would confuse the average buyer as they just look at the price and assume 'that's expensive!'.  But everyone seems to be doing it and with the listed price so low I cannot understand how the postage cost is included. That's what made me think there could possibly be some 'secret' way of posting books!!!! LOL!!  (I want into that club!)

Message 4 of 35
Latest reply

postage for books

I never do 'free postage' and most of what I sell is books...but I do encourage 'filling a satchel'
Message 5 of 35
Latest reply

postage for books

If I list books and I will be listing some more soon I tend to go with BIN & free postage, just  a habit I got into. It's built into my price, the buyer knows exactly what they need to pay and no surprises when they pay say $7.00 post and the item comes with a postage label of $1.40.  <---- That really p's me off.  Try it both ways and see what's better for you.  

Message 6 of 35
Latest reply

postage for books

Nearly catching you MichelleSmiley LOL

Message 7 of 35
Latest reply

postage for books

Okay, well I'm guessing you're using prepaid satchels then.  Though sometimes it's cheaper to send parcel post. I've always refunded the difference if I end up finding a cheaper postage alternative.  I suppose it's easier for everyone if you just use the satchels.  But good idea about trying both methods. ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 8 of 35
Latest reply

postage for books

LOL...I sell so much 'in bulk' that my F/B is low...you'll overtake me for sure ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 9 of 35
Latest reply

postage for books

I think Australia Post stinks, but that's another topic lol ๐Ÿ™‚

I'm on the free post band waggon, but wish I was otherwise due to not being ably to have a % off sale without the % coming off the total price of book and postage as well.

Without free post, the % off sales only comes of you book sale price, not the post.

Aus. Post are contemplating a few price rises soon. grrrrr

I buy the 3kg satchels x 100 to get them for $11.75ea.

I buy the stamps in 70c x 200 and then get sheets of $3.50 and 20c stamps

because there are $1.40 and $2.10 books that slip though the slot and then $3.50 books under 500gm that slip through too.

You can then combine 2 x $3.50 stamps with a 20c stamp for the under 500gm books that don't go through the slot.

The 3kg satchels take care of the 500gm + books except for the 3-5kg where a $16.95 5kg satchel does the trick.

Message 10 of 35
Latest reply