Can't log in to Ebay

I "ll be surprised if this is something there is a solution to, but here goes...

I have a steam driven computer at work that is running Windows 98SE.  Not  because I'm too cheap to replace it, but because I have a one off program on it which is essential to my business and that program just will not run on anything later than Win98.

So, all was fine until a couple of weeks ago.  Since then I have not been able to log in to My Ebay. 

I enter my username and the "continue" field just stays greyed out, will stay that way all day.
I don't have facebook etc but did set up a Google account to see if I can log in that way but when I click on "continue with Google" it seems that it is going somewhere but nothing eventuates.

I have spent a fruitless few hours on chat with supposed CS help staff which ends up with ludicrous suggestions which only confirm that they do not even understand the problem, much less have any relevant assistance.  The last one declared that only the account recovery team would be able to fix the problem.  There is nothing wrong with my account!

So, if there are any any computer wizards out there who can offer useful suggestions I would be most grateful.  It is a pain not being able to bid, add something to my wish list or even ask a question on the boards (for which you have to be logged in) when I am at work.

I am sending this from my hypersonic megacharged home computer...Ebay sign in.jpg
Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Can't log in to Ebay

I suspect that because eBay doesn't support WIN 98 then your only way in would be to use your home computer or a smart phone using a browser on that.

There is the eBay app, but that has it's own set of problems as well.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Buy another computer to run everything other than your legacy program. Or get your boss to update to the 2020s.

Honestly, Win 98, by definition, is 25 years old. That's about 100 generations in the cyberverse.

Why is your work using steam driven computers?

The issue would seem to be you using an antiquated work computer to run your eBay business, rather than owning your business and using relevant tech.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Yea, the issue is that Win98 is no longer supported.

Have you thought about seeing whether a Win98 emulator in a new system will enable your business software to run?

Your options for accessing eBay (and probably quite a few sites) are not many. Thatโ€™s not even addressing the security vulnerabilitiesโ€ฆ Can you use your work computer as a standalone, not connected to the internet, and get a second computer for work which does the internet stuff? 

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Thank you, much as I expected.

I will get a modern laptop & use that for internet stuff & use old faithful for the other stuff.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply