Whats with this ebay entry in the address lines ?

Whats with this ebay entry in the address line?

Thanks

Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: Whats with this ebay entry in the address lines ?

If it has anything to do with delivery you would think that all branches of AP would know about it.

So far ot is a mystery to StarTrack and AP Contractors.

I am guessing that it has something to do with AP being able to charge ebay for any services being used by ebay sellers.

Message 11 of 25
Latest reply

I have removed that line for every postage label I have created as it goes against the seller protection policy of Paypal

I have to post to address given to me by paypal. The paypal adrress must be put in exactly as provided and that line is not in my paypal notification.

So untill it appears in my Paypal notification it will be removed every time.

Message 12 of 25
Latest reply

Hi All

My 2cents is that in typical ebay speak 'benefits the seller' means 'advertises ebay'.

I do not use ebay post labels and for the most part my packets are letter post, low value items.

From my perspective including this 'ebay:xhjd546' as part of the street address simply tells a letter-box thief that the packet is something of value from an ebay seller and not just another letter. I am taking it out when printing. Yet another counter-productive ebay process in a 'new feature' when there are long-standing broken processes that are not fixed.

cheers

Tony

Message 13 of 25
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

As per their announcement on 01-11-2019 :

As you may know, we’ve added a unique code to address line one of all eBay transactions. The code is a combination of the word ‘ebay’ plus seven case-insensitive alphanumeric characters (e.g. ‘ebay:97sT3JJ’). 

The purpose of the code is to improve the post-transaction experience for your buyers by providing them with more  tracking events and visibility over their parcel’s journey. It will also help protect you should a buyer open an ‘item not received’ request.

How does it work? 

1. We’ll add the code to all eBay transactions
  2. The carrier will then match the code with a tracking number
  3. eBay will then ingest the tracking number and all tracking events, which will be displayed to your buyers on the eBay platform

What you need to do

• Do not remove the code from your order to ensure the validity of tracking information and that we capture all available tracking events
  • If you print on an external labels platform, ensure you add the code to your label in the format provided by eBay

If you currently upload tracking to eBay, continue to do so. Uploading tracking is a requirement to participate in key velocity programs like eBay Guaranteed Delivery. 

Message 14 of 25
Latest reply

Appears to be a hoop thrown in to encourage use of the label printing for a dollar;its tedious copying random characters.

Message 15 of 25
Latest reply

I only include it if I'm using eBay labels, as it comes up automatically. There is no way I would hand copy; it won't affect how AP treat a parcel, so there is no point. I don't even see it as I use the Paypal supplied address, which doesn't include it.

Message 16 of 25
Latest reply

Hi just thought I would contribute from a buyers only viewpoint. The code interferes with shipping if the buyer has used both address lines in their registered shipping details: Ie:
Joe Bloggs
Apartment 4
262 Hillview Cres
Bondi, NSW, 2026

It then appears as

Joe Bloggs
ebay:97sT3JJ’ Apartment 4262 Highvi
Bondi, NSW, 2026

I've just had my last 2 deliveries botched because of this.
Message 17 of 25
Latest reply

@robrober.osrgk1 wrote:
Hi just thought I would contribute from a buyers only viewpoint. The code interferes with shipping if the buyer has used both address lines in their registered shipping details: Ie:
Joe Bloggs
Apartment 4
262 Hillview Cres
Bondi, NSW, 2026

It then appears as

Joe Bloggs
ebay:97sT3JJ’ Apartment 4262 Highvi
Bondi, NSW, 2026

I've just had my last 2 deliveries botched because of this.

Just another **bleep** up by ebay although not sure what their motive was here. It's always about money, more for them/less for us lolol so must have been financial gain for them

I hand write labels and have never/will never put their stupid number on there

Message 18 of 25
Latest reply

Maybe AP can't determine that they are eBay postage otherwise. After all they need to know what items they have to pay kickbacks for, and a tracking number starting with EBA might be too confusing.

Message 19 of 25
Latest reply

Remove the ebay code as it is not the address found on the Royal Mail postcode finder.

Message 20 of 25
Latest reply