Changes to meet buyer demand on eBay.com.au (26/07/2011)

CmtyGuide@ebay.com
Community Member
Changes to meet buyer demand on eBay.com.au (26/07/2011)

This thread is to discuss with other eBay members the **Changes to meet buyer demand on eBay.com.au** announcement made on 26/07/2011.

These changes include:
· Changes to fees on eBay.com.au
· Introduction of eBay Top Rated Sellers

Please feel free to use this thread to ask any questions you may have about these upcoming changes, as well as other changes mentioned in the announcement.

Please remember, eBay Community Guides are here help you find what you need on eBay Forums but cannot offer advice pertaining to other areas of eBay or engage in conversation. You can find more information about eBay Discussion boards and how they work here: Discussion Board's Help Page
eBay Community Guides help you find what you need in eBay Community, but do not offer advice on other eBay features, or engage in conversation. Find out more about eBay Community and how it works here: Community Help Page
Message 1 of 345
Latest reply
344 REPLIES 344

Re: Changes to meet buyer demand on eBay.com.au (26/07/2011)

Through their higher engagement with the site, consumer sellers are among eBay’s best buyers, therefore encouraging them to sell more keeps them actively engaged and buying on the site which benefits other sellers.

For consumer sellers, auctions will remain an engaging way to sell and for buyers, an exciting way to buy second hand items or items of undetermined value on eBay.com.au.

.....Ok you have been told :|........ *jackboots crunching*...

you will like these changes.

you will sell things....... you will buy things .... you will be engaged...., you will be excited.

No ifs, no buts, no maybe's...... just like paypal...... it's mandatory...

ebay has spoken:-p

I note powersellers are excluded........... I wonder why it became so easy to become a powerseller?
TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 41 of 345
Latest reply

So long as you're not a powerseller either - because we dont qualify for the free listing - or the capped FVF!

I quite like being a powerseller .... and am eligible to be a Top Rated (?) one , which sounds very sweet; but NOT if it puts me at a financial disadvantage over other sellers of vintage. I sell less than 30 items a month. Few of which are over $50. I don't have much trouble getting my listings to place well in search rankings ... Most of my items are in demand... that's why I sell them on Ebay.

Don't let them frighten you into paying higher fees just so that you, allegedly, get better rankings in Best Match. Beat them at their own game and learn how to use Keywords and Meta Tags... it ain't that hard.

I say allegedly as it is becoming increasingly clear (those who use the PS board will know this) that Ebay staffers are not able to articulate how Best Match works to a sellers advantage. Yet Best Match is what they are meant to be selling to us. Hmmmmmm....

I buy a lot from Ebay US and UK and haven't noticed that either Top Rated or PS rank higher over another seller for a similar one off item. They can do for brand new stuff.

Yeah I'll be an opting out the Powerseller program.

Marian
"Be the change you want to see in the world" Mahatma Gandhi
Message 42 of 345
Latest reply

cezm
Community Member
I am a powerseller - cant see any benefit in it all with the new fee structure - I dont get 30 x free .99 cent listings and no cap on my final value fees. All I get is an increase in my final value fees!!! Am I reading this right - or did I miss something? Yes 30 x free 99 cent listings might encourage 'casual' sellers - but I find most of them dont know what they are doing and as a buyer I am usually dissapointed with my purchases from them. NOT HAPPY JAN!

Is it only for 99c listings? ... I missed that in the blurb ...
Message 43 of 345
Latest reply

cq_tech
Community Member
Dunno what happened above, but that should read...

No, it applies to ALL listings, regardless of starting price (well, the first 30 at least).
Message 44 of 345
Latest reply

ken_mil
Community Member
"Changes to meet buyer demand" ??? So buyers were demanding that sellers pay higher fees were they ? Cloaking fee increases in smarmy statements like this just tells you how disingenuous eBay are.
Message 45 of 345
Latest reply

It's even worse than the previous example someone gave as the current final value fee is 5.25% of the initial AU$75.00 plus 2.75% of the remaining closing price which is not just 5.25%, it's actually less.

For example a $200 sale would give an FVF of $10.50 at a straight 5.25%, whereas it's actually 5.25% x first $75 = $3.94 + 2.75% x remaining $125 = $3.44 for a total of $7.38.

Compare this $7.38 to the new FVF (7.9%) which is $15.80 on a $200 sale, hey presto you've just lost $8.42 less about $2 you saved placing the ad as that's now free. You've still lost around $6.40 and that's only on a $200 sale - ridiculous!

It's relatively OK for someone who tries to sell things that may not actually sell as they don't have to pay anything if they don't sell (but if they do sell they get clobbered with way higher fees). BUT for people who sell items they more or less know will sell, therefore don't mind paying a little to advertise, it's a really bad deal with those hefty new final value fees. Not happy and will be looking to sell elsewhere!!
Message 46 of 345
Latest reply

'slightly increasing final value fees' - slightly?? Don't make us laugh!!
Message 47 of 345
Latest reply

No more multiple quantities in a single listings after September unless you are a store, powerseller or business. They are hiding that well right down the bottom of the list!
Message 48 of 345
Latest reply

BTW I really like that fact that eBay are going to

incentivise sellers.

Here is a great definition and comment. I do appreciate the fact that eBay have thoughfully changed the "Z" to "S" for us Aussies!!!! The comments relate well to eBay I think.

Link

:^O:^O

According to the calculator I'd be $6 a month better off closing my shop.

I'm a buyer also, and can't for the life of me remember a survey - maybe it was for a selected few who don't sell.

The comments relate well to eBay I think.

Link

:^O:^O

Meant to add see Comments for No. 1 in

Love it!!!!