Changes to meet buyer demand on eBay.com.au (26/07/2011)

CmtyGuide@ebay.com
Community Member
Changes to meet buyer demand on eBay.com.au (26/07/2011)

This thread is to discuss with other eBay members the **Changes to meet buyer demand on eBay.com.au** announcement made on 26/07/2011.

These changes include:
· Changes to fees on eBay.com.au
· Introduction of eBay Top Rated Sellers

Please feel free to use this thread to ask any questions you may have about these upcoming changes, as well as other changes mentioned in the announcement.

Please remember, eBay Community Guides are here help you find what you need on eBay Forums but cannot offer advice pertaining to other areas of eBay or engage in conversation. You can find more information about eBay Discussion boards and how they work here: Discussion Board's Help Page
eBay Community Guides help you find what you need in eBay Community, but do not offer advice on other eBay features, or engage in conversation. Find out more about eBay Community and how it works here: Community Help Page
Message 1 of 345
Latest reply
344 REPLIES 344

Re: Changes to meet buyer demand on eBay.com.au (26/07/2011)

I am beginning to wonder if I should continue with my eBay store. I am a power seller, selling my own paintings as a hobby business. I list 7 or 8 at a time and sell around two paintings a week ave price $75 ea, which is my maximum output as an artist. I aim to have one listing closing each day

The avenues to improve my business focus on increasing hits/visits and increasing pricees rather than increasing the number of sales. (my limited output)

Ebay are suggesting that BIN will be the preferred approach for electronic sales in the future, so I am looking at operating without the store and no auctions in future

Comments and suggestion welcome
bob
Message 91 of 345
Latest reply

26 July 2011 | 10:59AM EST

"The fee changes are aimed at encouraging professional and business sellers to list more Buy It Now items in Stores"
How does increasing fees from 5% to 9% encourage professional & business sellers? Maybe I'm a bit daft but I can't see how that works.

Don't worry, we're all just as bemused as you are.
Message 92 of 345
Latest reply

donnashandmadecreations
Community Member
I am just so bewildered at the decisions here lately! The new way of adjusting the fees is just greed - but the push to take the Aussie dollar further into the US - the flood of introduced US listings onto what I origianlly thought was Aussie Ebay has me shaking my head - I not only sold here but bought as well - now I can see sales slowing and people purchasing from the US, and gone are my daily coffee sessions browsing for an Aussie item when the site is flooded with US listings and I have to Click Australia only to find an Aussie listing - frankly I couldn't be bothered. It makes me feel like not buying at all as each sale I make further fills their pockets when they are not at all interested in us as sellers or buyers. I have closed my shop and taken my sales to another site where listings are free - not just for 30 but all of them regarless of Qty......and yes I do pay a final value fee but nothing near the exorbitant price hike here. They are clearly interested in helping other Australian sites become stronger by driving us away in droves.......Great Success ! Yeh Right.
Cheesed off - You Bet!
Message 93 of 345
Latest reply

If ebay au really wants to meet buyer and seller demand, instead of taking away our categories and forcibly unaligning us with how US and UK is set up (they did this last June in character toys so no longer worth selling on Australia for worldwide listings anymore and character toys AU is a total mess), how about aligning ALL our categories so we have the same set up as US and UK for a start.

Ebay Australia is forcing US listings in all our categories here now - gee aren't we lucky in Australia they won't show up in character toys because we don't have a matching category - DID YOU KNOW THAT EBAY?

Why do we have different categories and different fee structures to what US and UK have? Why are Australians disadavantaged by all your so called improvements?

Why not create an equal playing field, i.e. US, UK and Australia all have the same aligned categories, same fee structure, same benefits (if any are to be had with ebay)?

Why not create one set of rules for all sites? Simple.

And also I want to know why I keep getting emails saying that I am covered by ebay protection on items I buy in Australia, when this only exists in USA?
Message 94 of 345
Latest reply

eBay by hiking your fees you're forcing your sellers to look elsewhere, without sellers your buyers will also have to go elsewhere!

Did you know you can have a free store on Facebook now? free to list and no fvfs!!

There is also a facebook group where ebay sellers can register there website ..

and yes sellers will have no choice but to pass on the fee increase to their buyers by hiping up prices on their items.. this along with the recent postage increases from AP, will inevitably see buyers going elsewhere because shopping on ebay will be unaffordable.
Message 95 of 345
Latest reply

3buttercups
Community Member
Once again 'the treat them mean and keep them keen' ethos of ebay is as the forefront of their policy. I'm so sad that the Powersellers who make Ebay such a lot of money are not the beneficiaries of any discounts from their exhorbitant fees - or am I reading it wrong???? I would have thought with the rise of Facebook and other selling mediums Ebay would have put a bit of thought into becoming more competitive. The comparisons given of being in the Powerseller Program and not being in seem to make it not worth being a Powerseller. Am I reading this wrong????
Deb
3buttercups
Message 96 of 345
Latest reply

I wish people would stop saying on here (including eBay themselves trying to make it sound not so bad) that the FVF fees are going up from 5.25% to 7.9% (for non-store owners). It's much worse than that!! 5.25% current FVF only applies to sales of less than $75, can't you read? Sales from $75 to $1000 (i.e. the majority of sales apart from cheap items) are charged at 5.25% of the initial AU$75.00 plus 2.75% of the remaining closing price which makes the final percentage at present variable but always way lower than 5.25%.

I recently sold an item for $755 and the FVF was $22.64 which equates to just 3% for example, nowhere near 5.25%. On the new fees I'd be paying a huge $59.64 in fees (7.9% of sale amount). Taking my ad fee into account ($4.09) I'd be paying nearly $33 more in fees which is just plain ludicrous! Put another way my fees would go up from 3% to 7.9%! On top of that greedy old Paypal took another $20 and of course their percentages also come off your postage fee which is also criminal.

And then we've got the US invasion in the listings to contend with....d'oh, I give up!!!
Message 97 of 345
Latest reply

dante_nik
Community Member
This stinks, I sell things periodically in the auction format, ebay is becoming less accommodating to the smaller second hand vendor and consumer. Name change to ebuy methinks....
Message 98 of 345
Latest reply

vj*vj
Community Member
Totally agree!
Message 99 of 345
Latest reply

vj*vj
Community Member
:^O .... yes I think that Seller is a bit of a W************* aswell!
Message 100 of 345
Latest reply