OVERPRICING OF POSTAGE

shellyshelly40
Community Member
DOES ANYONE HAVE THIS PROBLEM. I WAS CHECKING OUT DVDS AND FOUND ONE SELLING FOR $3.00 AND THEN $8.00 POSTAGE. BOTH SELLER AND BUYER ARE IN BRISBANE. WHY CAN'T EBAY DO SOMETHING ABOUT REGULATING POSTAGE AS THERE ARE SELLERS OUT THERE THAT SELL THEIR GOODS FOR A SMALL PRICE AND THEN HIT YOU WITH UNBELIEVEABLE POSTAGE. THEY SHOULD BE AWARE THAT IT ONLY DRIVES A BUYER AWAY AND IT IS NO LONGER CLASSED AS A BARGAIN.
Message 1 of 125
Latest reply
124 REPLIES 124

Re: OVERPRICING OF POSTAGE

...I study the postage on items to see if it fair before i start any bidding...

Really? ya think?
Message 21 of 125
Latest reply

byadream
Community Member
Hi..as a long time Ebay seller and trying to balance a sale with postage and fees is extremely difficult. If we want to be fair and sell an item at low cost in the hope of a sale..then we have to make something worthwhile in monetary returns and often the only way to do this is to add a little extra in postage. BUT you must remember we are permitted (within reason) to do this as part of the handling charges ..EG, wrapping and postage including our purchase of these items. You must remember we are charged ebay fees for selling and Paypal for transactions ..So it can become quite expensive for the small to average Ebay seller. NOW when you are talking about overseas sellers that is a different story..You as the buyer must look into and check postage costs as they can vary greatly. I hope this helps a little from an ebay seller's perspective. Thanks
Message 22 of 125
Latest reply

byadream
Community Member
THANK YOU KATH!!!! It is so hard to get buyers to understand UNTIL they actually sell themselves..what is involved in these sales..YES we sell because we want to sell something, make a bit of money and make customers happy..BUT..Ebay is not the happy little selling place it used to be when it started..NOW..it has become a huge..soul less organisation..and it hits sellers where it hurts..in the pocket!! The fees are riciculous and Paypal should be ashamed of themselves..making such a profit out charging for transactions..Quite honestly I am seriously thinking of quitting Ebay forever and returning to having Garage sales..PLEASE buyers,,,Think....WE not only JUST list our items..which takes time and internet and computer resources...and following our sales and chasing buyers..THEN THERE ARE THE FEES!!!!.we then do the leg work of wrapping posting which means long queues in post offices and petrol and driving and THE COSTS OF THESE are not cheap..include in that the stamps, the bubble wrap, the paper, envelopes, tape, pens..and on and on and on......Anyway..I say if you are not aware as a buyer of how we are coping with this stuff then PLEASE MAKE YOUR SELVES aware before you criticise us..THe majority of sellers are genuine honest people who are doing this to make some money and have a little fun and make people happy..BUT..there are those unsrupulous ones too..Ahhhhh..the joys of ebay are fading for me!!!!!!
Message 23 of 125
Latest reply

I put my postage on and yet when it comes to send a book over 500g it cost me $12.50 to send it to WA.People buyers and sellers should be be aware of these different zones. I recently wrote to Ebay about them trying to get the actual copy of zones and wights plus price to no avail.They have $8.30 and then tell you to put the higher charge on the invoice. I do not agree with that I think the fee structure should be fairer.On DVD's and Videos I notice they say $8.30 i refuse to charge that and only charge $6.50 that only just covers the bag not travelling back and forth or any of the wrapping you need.On other items I ask to be paid by Paypal and if the postage is considerably lower then quoted I refund part of the postage. I know that it is not the ideal situation but I hope that people will realise that I am trying my best to be fair all round.

Kath.... this is HOW you do it....
EBAY BOOKS POSTAGE"

If you have a large book and are going to be sending it in a prepaid 3kg satchel, you can do this by using the "calculated postage" option.

1. Under domestic postage choose "Calculated Cost varies by buyer location".
2. Choose under services Prepaid Parcel Post Satchels 3kg"
3. From the weight drop down chose 2+ to 3 kg
4. From package type choose "Padded Bags/Satchels"

This will display the correct $9.90 postage charge in the postage details section.
You can also tick the REGISTERED post box to add the extra $2.80 if applicable.

You can also add an amount for 'handling' in the appropriate place.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 24 of 125
Latest reply

dollydidit08
Community Member
๐Ÿ™‚
Message 25 of 125
Latest reply

A lot of sellers mainly overseas based in asia will list items cheaper but charge extremely high postage rates and not allow buyers to combine purchases. Ebay takes a final value fee percentage of the actual sale price so if an item only sells for 99 cents ebay will only make a small amount from that sale. However ebay wont make a cut from the amount being charged on the postage costs so these sellers make there ebay fee free profits from the over charged postage rates rather than the final sale fees. Of course if the buyer pays via paypal the seller still gets charge for the full sale amount but they are saving a huge amount on ebay fees by selling cheap and charging high on postage.
Message 26 of 125
Latest reply

Firstly you have to find out where the money in postage goes:

1. eBay fees (if ebay lowered their fees then so would sellers)

2. paypal fees. Having together ebay and paypal fees is like a tax on a tax.

2. Australia Post. They keep raising the cost to post an item which is in turn passed on to the consumer.

3. Handling fees. Time is money so the time to post an item has a value on it, not to mention petrol costs.

I charge $5 postage on my $3 items which gets me a loss. I only make money on those when they buy in bulk or my other sales offset the loss but with the OP - if all they're selling is DVDs and only sell one per customer then the price is quite fair.
Message 27 of 125
Latest reply

ucem62
Community Member
YES I HAVE NOTICED THESE ARTICLES FOR SALE AND THEN FIND THE MASSIVE POSTAGE THEY ARE ASKING.
I THOUGHT THAT WAS AGAINST THE EBAY RULES. WHY IS EBAY ALLOWING THEM TO DO THIS. AS YOU SAID IT TURNS PEOPLE AWAY FROM THE SITE AND THE REST OF US ARE ABIDING BY THE RULES MOST OF US ONLY SMALL SELLERS. WHAT CAN BE DONE ABOUT THIS.
Our House Is Like A Circus Only Thing Is You Do Not Have To Pay To Get In.
Message 28 of 125
Latest reply

Read my above post.

Then you find out why it cost so much
Message 29 of 125
Latest reply

kfczombie
Community Member
I really hate when sellers use excuses like i had to pay for the box, Sticky tape, petrol for my car to get down to the post office etc etc. And what really gets under my skin is that they don't even take the time to place this sorta info in their descriptions.

Sorry i will not pay for you petrol, padded bags, boxs, sticky tape, bubble wrap. If you belive in good customer service you should be supplying these within the postage for free, so you know that your products will arrive safely to your customers.
Message 30 of 125
Latest reply