Update details?

I have just been sent an email by Ebay saying I have been partly locked from my account as I have not updated my details despite ebays previous requests... I have had any such request. What is going on here??

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Update details?

Tried to respond and got an error message, so apologies if this posts twice

Are you sure the email was really from eBay and not a phishing scam?

Are there any messages in your actual eBay messages when you log into your account?

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Update details?

Yes I received this too and it was in my ebay messages saying suspended and asked for drivers licence and government id number - I have no idea what that is ?

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Update details?

judsau4
Community Member

Hey,  I got this too in my emails but not in my ebay account. 

I have since flagged the email as a phishing scam. Open the email sender address and you will see it is very clevery disguised to slip through your email address as ebay but there is a number 2 added to the email address.  I cannot believe this is an email company address. 

It looks and feels scammy to me. Especially since this GVT ID number is requested. ???? 

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Update details?

I suggest you all read up on Managed Payments. You certainly should have received several emails from eBay prior to this. I did, and this account was suspended today. Which is fine - I have 2 other accounts already registered for Managed Payments, which is more than enough.

As I said, it is a Managed Payments requirement. It was announced last year, and there have been many threads opened about it. Try reading them. If you ignore the email, it will mean you can't sell here  any more, so it's your choice.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Update details?

Yes...that made me a little nervous, however after doing more research I now believe that is a Govt requirement to stop fraud or money laundering??Can hardly imagine anything worth huge $s on ebay would warrant that! The govt id would be our Drivers Licence #. Does seem odd, however I notice that Pay Pal no longer belongs to Ebay and they are using another company from the Netherlands. I am still wanting to use Pay Pal for purchases and even though Ebay indicates you can, there is no facility for that.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Update details?

Well, I for one have never received ANY notification from Ebay prior to the ultimatum of having my account locked. You have to admit, on the surface this email does look very suspicious so you cannot blame anyone today for not having gone through to "managed payments" at the outset. Yes, I have checked managed payments but I still want to use Paypal for purchases which is indicated that you still can, however this does not seem the case

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Update details?

I did get this in my email account too I see however absolutlely no warnings. I did not even hear PayPal had been sold. It now is legit, but a huge waste of time having to go through all this!

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Update details?

Thank you, yes. Have now seen it is in my messages as well. Have come to the conclusion that this situation has not been handled very well by Ebay. Its the first I had heard of this change from PayPal to their new source. ID # will be your Drivers Lic. #.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply