WARNING - VIRUS Email from Paypal 24/4/15

WARNING !

A fake email claiming to be from Paypal is doing the rounds of Paypal account holders today - 24th April '15.

It claims to be from - services@inc.paypal, with the subject being - "Receipt for your payment to AU-AdCommerce_EOM@ebay.com".

The email looks to be genuine but it is infact a VIRUS

Genuine Paypal emails always include your name as part of the greeting. Eg : "Dear John" or Dear John Smith".

The fake emails only have the greeting as "Dear", - no name included.

The fake Paypal email i received claimed to be a receipt from Paypal for a purchase I alledgably made last month on Ebay.

It also claims that payment has already been made, with another persons delivery address being listed.

Please do not click on any of the emails links, as doing so will probably corrupt whatever device you are viewing it on.

Just totally delete it from your device.

Paypal have been notified of this fake email and have verified it is a phishing attempt.

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: WARNING - VIRUS Email from Paypal 24/4/15

I have had these emails before too.  Ebay and PayPal always address you with your name (for example, it will just say "Hello" .. so be aware if they don't have your name on it.

I don't think it is an actual virus (correct me if I'm wrong)  .... I think you are asked to follow the link if the email isn't meant for you THEN, they ask you to correct your bank account details, which will then give them access to your account.

In any event ... BE AWARE, and don't respond in any way   Man Mad  

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

Those emails are quite common although not as common as they were a few years ago.

Unless they have changed substantially over the years they do not contain any nasties.  The damage is done when you click on any links in them and give out you bank details or other sensitive information.

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

It's not a virus, just an attempt to harvest paypal details.

I've been receiving a few of them lately.

Either forward them to spoof@paypal.com or just delete them.

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply