Basic Subscription Ebay Store requirements

gotto16
Community Member

Hi,

was considering opening up a basic ebay store but wasn't sure if you needed to officially register your business name (shop name) and have an abn attached to it for tax purposes. Given I'm not sure if a store will be successful for me or not, I don't want to have to invest money in registering a name if after a few months I see the store isnt doing well and would decide to close it. Do store owners here all have their names registered or do you simply need to pick a name that is available within ebay and start selling? 

Would be very grateful for any advice as it is the one mental block holding me back from taking the plunge and giving it a go!

Thank you very much for your time and help ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You really need to be realistic here.....you have only sold 2 items in the last month.   That would not justify the cost of a store unless you are prepared to invest a lot of money with probably very little return.

Just because you list more does not necessarily mean you will sell more.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

You would be wasting money opening a store unless you have over 100 listings AND a good sell-through rate, which in your case you don't seem to have on this ID.

To answer your question, no you don't have to register a business for a store.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

Thanks for your response. Currently I am ony selling 40 items a month which is my limit of free listings, but if I were to open a store than I can continue to list 100 items. I've heard that you have more luck being found in search by having a store so would like to increase my chances. 

Just to clarify, when you open a basic store and you are asked to name your store- does this name need to be officially registered as a business name with asic or can you just pick any name and start selling? 

Thanks very much for your help ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

As I said you don't have to register a business name for a store, just use any name you come up with, BUT unless you can get a good sell-through rate you will be wasting you money.

Having a store doesn't mean your sell-through rate is going to magically increase.

Edit, To add, you're not selling 40 items a month, you've only sold 2 items in the last month, nowhere near enough to justify a store.

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

Thank you for your response, I appreciate that you are trying to get me to be realistic and I know it is not a sure bet to success having a store, but it's something I've wanted to try and give a go as I have a ton of stuff and I'm sure lots of people start out somewhere and discover things along the way. Hence I wanted to know that I didn't need to invest any more money registering business names if I see it won't work.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question and have a great day ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

Just to add, in women's tops alone you are competing against over a million listings.

Capture.PNG

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

If you open a store, call it what you like - ebay will tell you if the name is taken.

You don't have to register the name for business purposes.

And above all else DO NOT register it as a business with ebay.  You miss out on

3 free relists as well as a lot of promotions 

I also think you need a minimum of 100 listings to open a basic store.

A basic store will cost you $24.95 plus GST - do your math - are you making enough for that?

https://pages.ebay.com.au/help/sell/storefees.html

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

Thank you very much for your response- that's very useful information and I appreciate it.

My aim is to be selling over 100 items as I have been limiting myself to the free 40 listings a month and wanted to know if it would be better for me to have a store where the number of listings isn't limited and hopefully the more I have listed will in turn lead to more sales.

I guess it is still a trial and error game and if it doesen't pan out, I can always cancel the store and I assume you just go back to an individual seller. 

Thanks again for the tips and have a great day ๐Ÿ™‚ 

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

This link may help you gotto if you haven't come across it already.

https://pages.ebay.com.au/help/sell/store-getstarted.html

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

Thank you, yes, I've already seen it ๐Ÿ™‚ 

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply