How do you report an overpriced scam listing on ebay AU

I've been through all the report form and it doesn't seem to fit anywhere, even though it's against their listing policy rules.

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: How do you report an overpriced scam listing on ebay AU

What is the item number ?

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

How do you know it's a scam?

Do you realise that eBay cannot and will not dictate what a seller lists an item for?

If it's overpiced, don't buy it. Simples. If everybody did the same, the seller wouldn't sell it and might check on value. Assuming that it IS overpriced, not that you want it for less than advertised.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

"We're actively addressing reports that some sellers are charging unfair or unreasonable prices for certain items on eBay. We encourage our community to report any listings they suspect of unfair pricing to us. See our page on Reporting price gouging on eBay for more information and details on how to start a report."

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/policies/policies/ebays-rules-policies?id=4205

....but when I try and report, there's no section for reporting price gouging, or anything similar.

Yes the item is a scam, the same item recently sold for $29.50 and this seller is listing as a rare collectable for $3,000.00

I thought the seller had accidently listed at the wrong price, meaning to list at $30.00 and sent a (polite) message, trying to be helpful, but got a reply full of profanities.

I'm just finding it frustrating that I can't report this to ebay, when they have asked for reports like this.

It's possible to report price gouging on ebay US, but only for items listed on that site.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

What is the policy?

• Items that are considered essential must be offered at a reasonable price
  • Inflating the price of goods in response to an emergency or disaster is not allowed
  • eBay may restrict the sale of items that are susceptible to price gouging behaviour – for example, by only allowing items to be sold by authorised sellers
  • Sellers must follow all applicable laws and regulations that apply to the sale of their items

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/price-gouging-policy?id=5106

I hardly think a collectable comes under the price gouging policy

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

To further explain, ebay brought in this policy in relation to people advertising toilet paper, hand sanitiser and face masks.

That's where the 'price gouging' raised it's ugly head.

If you wanted to report any of those items, the report button is there for price gouging.

Not for ordinary items.

Sellers can set their own prices - particularly with collectables.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Yes the item is a scam, the same item recently sold for $29.50 and this seller is listing as a rare collectable for $3,000.00

Smiley LOL  If it is a collectable there is a good chance that it is out of stock and the seller has increased the price to keep his place in the search results knowing full well that nobody will be foolish enough to buy it.

When he gets stock the price will go back to normal.

There is no scam involved.....do you even know what a scam is?

You are not being forced to buy at the high price.

Some years ago I was looking for a popular DVD and found it advertised at prices in the thousands of $$$.  When the new stock arrived the prices all went back to normal.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Because there is a fool born every minute. Let me explain. I recently sold an item for $40. It was a fair price. Someone else sold the same item for $120. Obviously the buyer has no idea of the value of it or more money than they know what to do with. I have seen the most outrageous prices asked for certain items, and every now and then, someone will pay it. I would be ashamed to ask such ridiculous prices, but some sellers do, and are allowed to ask whatever they want if it is an ordinary item and not toilet paper etc.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Not sure why it is a concern to you.  Did you buy it,  is it competition, doesnt it all come to supply and demand,  if someone wants to pay a ridicoulous price, well then its their decsion not yours.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply