Local pick up QR code

I've purchased an item which I will be picking up.

The eBay help article says I'll receive an email with a QR code to give to the buyer once the order has been completed.

Does anyone know when this is sent?  Is it only after payment has been made?  If so, that's a problem as the seller understandably prefers cash on pick up.

I'm not sure if the seller even knows about the code, but want to have it ready if he asks for it, but the only email I've received so far is a confirmation that I'm the winning bidder, and prompting me to pay.

Any help is appreciated, but I've already read the help articles so those links aren't needed.

Thanks for any help.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

My understanding is that the code is only used if buyer has paid ebay.....cash payments - you are on your own

I was thinking along the same lines as twyngwyn, that completed meant paid.

But the help article is a bit ambiguous, in that it mentions cash on pick up as a payment option, but doesn't exclude the QR code for cash.

I won the auction several hours ago, and haven't received any code - will be picking up tomorrow morning - I've spoken to the seller and he hasn't mentioned the code - he's older and retired like us, so probably a bit more trusting.

I won't bother with live chat - twyngwyn's reply has confirmed what I thought, so I'll leave it at that.

Thanks for the replies.

The email with QR code is (I think) not sent after payment. eBay recognises that payment for local pickup items can include cash on pickup… so I’m basing my assumption on that.

You’ll notice that the Help article says ❝After you've completed your purchase, we'll send you an email with a local pickup code (a QR code and a 6-digit code). You can either take the email with you or show the seller the code in your eBay app when you collect your item. The seller will scan or enter the code on their eBay app to confirm you’ve picked up your item.

That means that (again, my assumption), as you’ve completed your purchase” (aka bought the item even though money hadn’t yet changed hands), you should receive the email imminently. If there’s a delay, that’s not unusual; eBay has the technical equivalent of constipation with regards to messages, so give it a few hours.

If the email is still MIA, perhaps contact eBay Live Chat and see whether a CS rep can do something.

Assuming it does turn up, could you post here to confirm? It’s helpful for others seeking advice in a similar situation. 

🤞🎡<- supposed to be the wheel of good fortune