60-day limit on giving feedback.

I purchased 10 lamp fittings. The LED lamp in one was faulty and the seller agreed to replace it. I delayed giving feedback, giving the seller the opportunity to fix the issue. The seller strung me along with apparently reasonable explanations and seemed committed to supplying a replacement. However, after several contacts and explanations about the delay, I still had not received the replacement after three months - and the seller no longer replies -  so I purchased a replacement elsewhere. The feedback window (60 days) has now closed. Because I waited to give the seller a chance to remedy the problem, I can't now give the feedback I want to leave to warn future buyers about my experience.  Is 60-days sufficient, especially in these times of supply-chain problems and delayed delivery?

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

First, let me say, the seller is in Australia, not China as many of the uninformed replies suggest, Second, the product is a well known Australian brand,  HPM, one of the main suppliers to the Australian electrical trade and the product is approved for use in Australia. My house won't burn down. Most of the replies are unhelpful.  I wont bother with the Community again. It is as unhelpful as the seller.

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Very doubtful the seller had any intention of sending a replacement but rather hoped you would do exactly as you did

Very very common people come to the board when a seller (especially in China) has strung the buyer along

Rather than worry first and foremost about what colour dot you leave, personally I would be more concerned about opening a dispute via PayPal for not as described 

Most of the sellers you have recently bought from have less than impressive feedback in any case, so if it was one of those, I'm not sure one more red dot is going to warn people who were'nt already warned about the sellers prior to purchase 

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

These days - if you haven't received in 60 days - you ain't getting it. 

For heavens sake - follow the instructions - whatever the seller tries on - if it does turn out well - the case will be closed - if not you have covered your bum - so to speak.

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

Purchased from China?

I sure wouldn't be plugging in any lamp fittings.

Your house might burn down - they're not Aussie approved, and your insurance won't cover it.

Just sayin'

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

I wouldn't even buy a tea light from China. lol

Check out - Hutwoods. 

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

FEEDBACK DECISION LOOP

Did you look at the sellerโ€™s feedback before buying?

If NO

The sellerโ€™s feedback was not important enough to you at the buying decision-making stage. Thus it is logical to conclude your feedback would not deter other buyers who, like you, donโ€™t look specifically at negative feedback when deciding to buy.

If YES

The negatives by other buyers did not deter you at the buying decision-making stage. There is no reason to suppose that your negative feedback would have greater weight and deter other buyers.

CONCLUSION

Your feedback is no more likely to โ€œwarnโ€ other buyers than their feedback warned you. Your giving feedback for the purpose of warning others will have little (if any) effect. If a seller already has negatives with informative comments. and those didnโ€™t stop you, your feedback will change almost certainly nothing.

If you want to give feedback to โ€œlet him have itโ€, to have emotional relief against a bad seller, thatโ€™s another story. I hold to the view that the best revenge against a bad seller is to get a full refund for a faulty product, and to that end you need to open an MBG claim within the required timeframe. You must give the seller no more leeway than that afforded to you as protection - be it consumer legislation period (for Australian business), warranty period (again, for Australian business or for reputable international business if youโ€™re prepared for the exigencies and costs involved), or MBG (for eBay purchases) or PayPal Buyer Protection timeframes.

If you donโ€™t avail yourself of the relevant protections, the seller gets away with it.

Basically, Iโ€™d rather bury Caesar than worry about denouncing Caesar.

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

I love countess's reply. She is exactly right. If you didn't take any notice of feedback, there is no reason to suppose your feedback will influence others either.

You're focusing on the wrong thing.  Forget feedback. The main issue is you handled everything wrong. Error after error after error.

That's what you need to concentrate on now so it doesn't happen next time.

1. You need to read up on ebay terms and conditions and make sure you know the window of time for things-time frame in which you can make a claim, timeframe in which to leave feedback etc

2. If item is faulty, you need a refund immediately-within 48 hours. You accept no offers of a replacement, you accept no explanations for a delay. If the full refund isn't received straight off, you go straight into an official claim through ebay. No time to muck around like you did. The seller played you for a fool. The bad sellers count on the fact they can give you the run around because you won't know the terms and conditions. In this case the seller was right, you waited way over the 30 day window. Never again, okay?

In fact, if it is a seller from China or overseas, don't even bother contacting them first, go straight into the ebay claim.

3. You get 60 days to give feedback. It's no use moaning it isn't sufficient. Moaning won't change a thing. Until such time as ebay itself decides to change it, that's what you have to work with. If you wanted to leave feedback, you should have done so, even if to give a neg and say it had not been received. You can always do a follow up comment later, even months later I think. 60 days should be plenty because if delivery is delayed, you don't wait, you-open an ebay claim within 30 days!

4. Left the main point till last. Your problem is you need a refund. You can open a paypal claim if you paid that way. You have 180 days. The seller is counting on you not knowing that.

Do it. Just say something basic in your claim-that LED lamp was faulty and does not work. Get your money back. That's the best revenge you can get on the seller, better than just leaving feedback. Remember immediate refund only, no replacement offers accepted. Go for it and let us know how you get on. 

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

60 days is absolutely not enough time as many sellers do what you have described and string it out just to get past the feedback deadline. Fleabay allows it to happen because they seem to think that sellers are more important than buyers but they don't realize that without buyers they do not need sellers. I have been affected just as you describe.

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

@doug5569 wrote:

60 days is absolutely not enough time as many sellers do what you have described and string it out just to get past the feedback deadline. Fleabay allows it to happen because they seem to think that sellers are more important than buyers but they don't realize that without buyers they do not need sellers. I have been affected just as you describe.

Sellers do that because buyers allow them to do so instead of using the MBG.

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

@doug.

Says the buyer who has left feedback in around 20% of the feedback given - and about 20% of feedback left is negs and a neutral.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 10 of 17
Latest reply