13 REPLIES 13

Re: A.P. scam warning

I think at this time of year, there is a greater chance of people being scammed.

I am sure there are plenty of people expecting multiple parcels and unless they keep very careful track of them all, they may assume it refers to one of their parcels.

People shouldn't give out personal info but I think countess is right and where there is uncertainty or a change in routines, there is room to scam some.

Message 11 of 14
Latest reply

@countessalmirena wrote:

@sugar249 wrote:

@countessalmirena wrote:

The statistics on being scammed more than once (1 in 3 are rescanned) are alarming. 

The move to SMS notifications / app notifications from AP makes sense in many ways, but the potential for being scammed is high for people who are perhaps less tech-savvy, or who are in a hurry…

Come on, stop making excuses for them.  There is no excuse for stupidity,  why would you give anyone sending you a text personal information.

Something that may help (and I’ve seen some instances of its working) is to avoid telling potential victims simply and only what not to do, i

@countessalmirena wrote:

@sugar249 wrote:

@countessalmirena wrote:

The statistics on being scammed more than once (1 in 3 are rescanned) are alarming. 

The move to SMS notifications / app notifications from AP makes sense in many ways, but the potential for being scammed is high for people who are perhaps less tech-savvy, or who are in a hurry…

Come on, stop making excuses for them.  There is no excuse for stupidity,  why would you give anyone sending you a text personal information.

Scams are designed to come up on our blind side and they are definitely purposed to take advantage of vulnerable people. Vulnerability comes in many forms.

I could be impatient with people who are scammed (in some cases more than once) but what does that achieve? It doesn’t solve the problem.

Something that may help (and I’ve seen some instances of its working) is to avoid telling potential victims simply and only what not to do, in favour of telling them what to do instead. They must be clear easy-to-follow instructions… and practice scenarios are needed. I’m not sure it works for everyone, though.

. They must be clear easy-to-follow instructions… and practice scenarios are needed. I’m not sure it works for everyone, though.

Not sure what else you can tell them what to do in these instances.

Please explain,  they have being told not to give personal details,  but I am guessing thats a ''what not to do'',   whatever advise you give them is a ''what not to do'' .  

Message 12 of 14
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

I think at this time of year, there is a greater chance of people being scammed.

I am sure there are plenty of people expecting multiple parcels and unless they keep very careful track of them all, they may assume it refers to one of their parcels.

People shouldn't give out personal info but I think countess is right and where there is uncertainty or a change in routines, there is room to scam some.

So because of uncertainty and change of routine, you suddenly wake up one morning and think, hey I will just give out my personal information to a text message.  Me thinks not, well than again its happening so they must wake up with that thought.

Message 13 of 14
Latest reply

@sugar249 wrote:

@springyzone wrote:

So because of uncertainty and change of routine, you suddenly wake up one morning and think, hey I will just give out my personal information to a text message.  Me thinks not, well than again its happening so they must wake up with that thought.

Yes, most definitely in times of uncertainty, there are opportunities for others.

If people have multiple parcels arriving, it is possible that someone may get careless and assume a text is about one of them.

You & I may recognise a scam from a mile away but not everyone does. I don't think people wake up with the thought that today they will hand out personal information, I think that some people just get sucked in. Some scams can be very elaborate.

Message 14 of 14
Latest reply