A tip for buying on ebay

Hey ebayers, just a tip.  When an item doesn't arrive or you have a problem with an item that arrived and a difficult seller, don't let ebay try and scam you with a voucher.  If an item you purchase using that voucher does not arrive, EBAY will NOT provide you with a full refund, or replacement voucher.  Ebay will keep the amount, and you'll end up being ripped off twice, once by the seller, and the next by ebay lol.  Make sure they always refund to your nominated account/card.   I wonder how many millions they've skimmed using this method lol

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

A tip for buying on ebay

imastawka
Honored Contributor

False information.

Ebay does not offer vouchers as a replacement for items that don't arrive or are not as described.

They have a full Money Back Guarantee if you open the right case.

Returns, items not received and refunds for buyers | eBay

The seller may try and fob you off, but you ignore and follow through with the case until you have a full refund.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

A tip for buying on ebay

My tip would be to follow the actually proper policies rather than spread nonsense about eBay giving vouchers etc etc 

Any particular reason you are posting such inaccurate 'advice' ?

Buyers cannot be 'ripped off' IF they use the tools they are given

They will certainly be ripped off if they do anything other than that

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

A tip for buying on ebay

eBay do not refund with vouchers.

Perhaps it was the seller who ' refunded ' with a voucher. ??

How can you be ' scammed ' twice ' - you paid for the original item - you said was refunded with a ' voucher ' - you spent the ' voucher ' - for which you paid nothing - and weren't refunded for that you didn't pay for.

LOL - trying to follow the logic of some is like trying to smell the colour 9.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

A tip for buying on ebay

Well, they have marked their own false information as the 'solution' 

No idea how a buyer gets 'scammed' at all, let alone twice

But given the OP's comments it really is no wonder

As long as other reading here don't follow the 'advice' and instead follow the proper policies to get their money back there will be no issue

Even better if other people care about how they buy from in the first place

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

A tip for buying on ebay

I can see this ID being added to a few party lists

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

A tip for buying on ebay

I repeat - ebay DO NOT refund with vouchers.

If they didn't give you a case number, then it wasn't ebay.

I do not work for ebay and neither do others on these boards.

These are public member to member forums.

And who on earth is Debangan?

Sounds Indian, and even more suss.

Spoiler

Debangan

Urban Dictionary
https://www.urbandictionary.com › define › term=Debangan
A bangladeshi dalit residing in India who looks like a black chicken. A person who has literally no skills. Often compared to a noob.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

A tip for buying on ebay

The working for eBay line is THE go to response from people who have been called out of posting 'stories'

The funny thing is, they have called themselves out so many times with that latest load there is no need for anyone else to do it

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

A tip for buying on ebay

Well, Gh421bris, I think your tip is spot on.

No buyer should ever accept a voucher instead of a refund. Always make sure you get a full refund if you have a problem with an item or if an item does not arrive.

I don't think any of the boardies here are disagreeing with you on that score. You asked why we would be upset that your experience here is shared to warn others. I personally think it is a good thing you are sharing the experience.

What any potential buyer should take from the post is that if something goes wrong and a seller offers a voucher instead of a refund, under no circumstances accept it.

Buyers need to be savvy as to how ebay works. They have 30 days after the delivery of a product in which to make a claim. They do NOT have to make a claim through a seller. In fact they shouldn't. They should open the claim directly vie ebay.

Once they do that,  the seller has no choice, they are put on notice by ebay to respond. Again, no buyer should close the claim because a seller offers a voucher. That's underhand dealing by the seller.

Some sellers are unscrupulous and will tell buyers to close the case, they are sending a replacement (or all sorts of stories), just to get them to close the claim. Once a buyer closes a claim, they cannot reopen it. Sellers know that.

It sounds to me as if you accepted a voucher from a seller, rather than opened a direct ebay claim for a full refund. As you said, big mistake.

Just out of interest, was that voucher for use only with the trader who had supplied the faulty item?

That's what I am assuming.

But one part of your story is extremely strange. Buyers always have to open their own ebay claims.

Yet you say

Ebay opened a case, apparently, according to Debangan, but they never sent the case number nor a resolution/outcome email. 

Debangan cannot open a claim for you or on your behalf.

Here is what I would do if I were you.

Look at when your last item was due to arrive, the estimated due date. 

If that is still under 30 days ago, go into your my ebay section and open a claim now, directly with ebay.

Your claim is that you have not received the item. Unless the seller can show evidence it was delivered, you will get a refund. Not a voucher, a refund.

If your first item, the one that was faulty, is still within the 30 day window, same. In fact, do that one first & only go onto the second one if you are out of time for the first claim.

You've been ripped off but not by ebay.

PREVIEW

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply