Absolutely no respond after the payment

sepa-9090
Community Member
I have recently bought a galaxy s20+ from an individual seller, who only accepted bank deposit. I have made the payment on 7th october straight after commitment to buy, and since then I havent getting any response from the seller.

However I tried to open a case, and if i try I see a message that the item is on the way. In the purchases page I see that my payment is pending. I am so confused and what do I have to do?
Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

How were only able to offer bank deposit?

Sellers HAVE to offer a safe payment method to buyers

Very very risky to buy a phone from an ordinary seller on eBay, there is zero warranty and a good possibility it will be a fake

And no buyer protection when paying by bank deposit 

I really do hope this is a genuine seller, but if they told you they only accept bank deposit, that is a loud warning bell and a sure sign they are not an authorised seller of the phone. 

Where does their feedback page show they are registered ?

Do they have any feedback?  Recent feedback especially 

What was the item number?

Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

sepa-9090
Community Member
(S)he was registered since2006, and has 100% positive with 30+ reviews... Thats why I have paid through bank deposit... Does the buyer protection not work with bank deposits?
Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

Reviews are for products, not sellers, so reviews would be for the phone only. 

It is important to know if there has been recent feedback, or nothing for a long time, as if there has been nothing for some time, that *could* potentially indicate a hijacked account

Did they use stock photos, or photos they took?

Safe methods of payment are PayPal and merchant facilities (credit card)  so a seller stating only bank deposit often suggests there is something not right. They should certainly have PayPal if they have been a member since 2006. 

The item number would help the buyers and sellers here get a better idea, as we could look for more warning signs 

Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

sepa-9090
Community Member
**bleep**. Just found out that item number was covered white in the photo... They used a photo they took (maybe not) and was not a stock photo. The ebay indicate that I have to pay be 11 oct, so should I wait for it? The seller has not been responding for three days.
Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

sepa-9090
Community Member

I have found an ebay item listing number... Would it help by any chance?
Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

@sepa-9090 wrote:

I have found an ebay item listing number... Would it help by any chance?

The listing clearly shows that the phone is not eligible for the eBay Money Back Guarantee.

Possibly a highjacked account.

Hopefully a member will be along with some advice to recover your funds...I am not hopeful.

Never give a complete stranger cash on the interweb.

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

Apologies, I had tech issues and could not respond earlier 

I'm afraid I agree and it still sounds alarm bells for me

I have never and would never pay by bank deposit, I am sure a member with experience/knowledge of the proper and best/safest process for you can advice when they see your post

I do not know if it is possible or as 'simple' as contacting your bank to cancel or suspend payment? 

Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

@sepa-9090 wrote:
I have recently bought a galaxy s20+ from an individual seller, who only accepted bank deposit. I have made the payment on 7th october straight after commitment to buy, and since then I havent getting any response from the seller.

However I tried to open a case, and if i try I see a message that the item is on the way. In the purchases page I see that my payment is pending. I am so confused and what do I have to do?

Firstly, if you paid by bank deposit, there is no way for the ebay system to pick up on that and mark the item as paid for in the My eBay section, which could be why it is showing as payment pending. It also means the seller has not marked it as payment received.

It doesn't indicate that the bank deposit hasn't arrived. That's a private arrangment you came to with the seller.

I had a look at that seller's record. It is true they have a 100% positive rating and a feedback score of 787, but if you look a bit further into it, you will see that none of that feedback is for them as a seller, it is all for them from other sellers. It looks to me as if they have been fairly active over the last 12 months, buying stuff, so i don't think it is a hijacked account.

So although they may look like ebayers with a lot of experience, this is their first time selling anything on ebay and it is possible they don't know a lot about selling procedure, however if they have marked it as on its way, then that is almost an admission it has been paid for.

Don't panic yet. I think there is a possibility you may get this phone. It is not right to ask buyers to pay into bank accounts and refuse a safe payment eg paypal, but I know for a fact some legitimate sellers do try this on dearer items. My own sister did this once on a time share sale as she didn't want to pay the paypal commission. Yes, she sold and yes, she & the buyer worked it out and the transaction took place, so it can happen. It is only 4 days after the sale so it could be on its way, although I would have expected the seller to give you a tracking number. He may be inexperienced as a seller but he is experienced enough as a buyer to know that is the procedure with dearer purchases.

Because you paid via bank deposit, I think you are on your own with this. There is no ebay protection, you won't be able to open an item not received claim with them, or so i believe. In any case, it is probably too early as you have not given it time to arrive. It says in the ad 4-13 BUSINESS days.

In future, if you want to buy anything on ebay, you don't have to accept terms such as ' bank deposit only'. In fact I suspect you could report a listing like that to ebay as against their rules. But in any case, don't buy, especially for expensive items, unless you can use a safe payment system such as paypal. Phones are probably not the best thing to buy on ebay either.

If you are looking at something that offers pick up and it is in your area, that is a different thing and you can always pay cash then when you pick up the item and have examined it and are happy with it. But bank deposit no, just don't do it. Some sellers may be genuine but you are taking an unnecessary risk that way.

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

@sandypebbles wrote:

Safe methods of payment are PayPal and merchant facilities (credit card)  so a seller stating only bank deposit often suggests there is something not right. They should certainly have PayPal if they have been a member since 2006. 

They've got around not offering Paypal by showing AMEX is available for payment in the listing sandy, but I would doubt they have EFTPOS facilities..................

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 10 of 19
Latest reply