Absolutely no respond after the payment

sepa-9090
Community Member
I have recently bought a galaxy s20+ from an individual seller, who only accepted bank deposit. I have made the payment on 7th october straight after commitment to buy, and since then I havent getting any response from the seller.

However I tried to open a case, and if i try I see a message that the item is on the way. In the purchases page I see that my payment is pending. I am so confused and what do I have to do?
Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Unfortunately, you have more than likely lost $1,000. I would be very surprised if you see the phone. You have fallen for the oldest scam in the eBay book.

You could try reporting the seller for not offering a safe payment method, but that won't get your money back.

Please follow up in a few weeks and let us know if it arrived. 

In future, but phones from a proper shop. Too many things can go wrong buying them online. Especially when you have lots of scam sellers.

EDIT: The listing says it was a gift for someone, but they already had one. If one was to be spending over a grand on a gift for someone, one would assume that they knew that person pretty well and would know what they had. Plus, if it was still sealed in box, it could have been returned to the store for a refund. Screams scammer to me.

Message 11 of 19
Latest reply

F. Looks like Ive just learnt an important lesson... fml... 

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

Unfortunately, you have more than likely lost $1,000. I would be very surprised if you see the phone. You have fallen for the oldest scam in the eBay book.

You could try reporting the seller for not offering a safe payment method, but that won't get your money back.

Please follow up in a few weeks and let us know if it arrived. 

In future, but phones from a proper shop. Too many things can go wrong buying them online. Especially when you have lots of scam sellers.

EDIT: The listing says it was a gift for someone, but they already had one. If one was to be spending over a grand on a gift for someone, one would assume that they knew that person pretty well and would know what they had. Plus, if it was still sealed in box, it could have been returned to the store for a refund. Screams scammer to me.

Message 12 of 19
Latest reply

Potentially an expensive lesson. Never ever pay via bank deposit unless you know and trust the seller. If the seller doesn't offer a safe payment method, find another seller. Don't let the price sway you into making a bad decision. There were lots of other identical phones listed for not much more (less than $50, some with postage costs, some without).

That seller could get into a lot of trouble if they are reported as they have set their listing up to bypass fees. That's a big no no on eBay.

Message 13 of 19
Latest reply

@sepa-9090 wrote:

If the phone doesn't arrive report the seller to the online fraud department, it may not get you your money back but it will put a rocket under the seller's bottom.

https://www.cyber.gov.au/acsc/report

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 14 of 19
Latest reply

I already did to two sites as soon as I realized... But I dont think it will be effective haha

@padi*0409 wrote:

@sepa-9090 wrote:

If the phone doesn't arrive report the seller to the online fraud department, it may not get you your money back but it will put a rocket under the seller's bottom.

https://www.cyber.gov.au/acsc/report

Message 15 of 19
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

That seller could get into a lot of trouble if they are reported as they have set their listing up to bypass fees. That's a big no no on eBay.

Tippy the seller got around not offering Paypal by offering AMEX in their listings, not sure how eBay knows how to get the fees under that scenario though.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 16 of 19
Latest reply

Don't panic just yet. There is still a chance the seller is honest and will post. Hopefully, anyway! If you've seen and heard nothing within a few weeks, then I'd start filing reports to the cyber crime cops. 

I have had quite a number of buyers pay via bank deposit over the years and have always posted the items. Not all who demand bank deposit are scammers (I don't demand it, I just offer it as another payment method for those who don't want a PayPal account).

Message 17 of 19
Latest reply

Thanks. So... If I dont hear at all from the seller and do not respond, Where do I have to report apart from ACCC and Scamwatch, and the bank? I want to make sure that I kick seller's butt in any way possible if it is a fraud. 

Message 18 of 19
Latest reply

The ACCC isn't going to come after a seller, so pointless going there. Padi left a link for the cyber fraud cops.

Message 19 of 19
Latest reply