Absolutely no response from seller after payment, no tracking number, not mark posted.

donut1.6
Community Member

I bought an arcade stick from a seller based in Melbourne on Monday and paid the same day, I expected the item to be shipped out on Tuesday, but it wasn't, so I send out an email on Tuesday night, again yesterday, no response or anything.

What should I do? How long should I wait before opening a case? And do I go through eBay money back guarantee or go through Paypal like before? What is the difference?

Message 1 of 152
Latest reply
151 REPLIES 151

Re: Absolutely no response from seller after payment, no tracking number, not mark posted.

@investmenttechnology wrote:
Yeah, why bother selling online if you're not going to respond to messages.

That's like a deaf and mute guy working in a retail store.

In your OP you asked why don't they respond to messages. What was it you wanted to know? 

Message 11 of 152
Latest reply

Re: Absolutely no response from seller after payment, no tracking number, not mark posted.

I want to know if I'm one of the unlucky 5%.
Message 12 of 152
Latest reply

I want to know if I'm one of the unlucky 5%.

The $6m question. May have to wait & see. Give them a chance, IMO 

Message 13 of 152
Latest reply

How long should I wait before opening a case? And do I go through eBay money back guarantee or go through Paypal like before? What is the difference?

Disputes are for "I didn't receive my item", not "it's been a couple of days and I don't know if the seller has posted my item yet" - meaning, you need to allow enough time for the item to arrive before going down that route.

As for not responding to a message, no that is not ideal to say the least, but it is also not unheard of for messages to fail to make it through the system. I sell, and last week I received an email notification of a message that the buyer has sent me nearly 24 hours earlier, so they can also be delayed. To be sure, I would try at least one more time - if no response, I would still wait a reasonable amount of time before considering opening a dispute.

As to which dispute process to use, if the seller is consistently uncommunicative, I would use PayPal's dispute process, only because it seems eBay continually delay resolution in some cases where the seller is not responding to the dispute. 

Message 14 of 152
Latest reply

I would give him the benefit of the doubt had he made the item as posted at least, but this is bull**bleep**.
Message 15 of 152
Latest reply

I would give him the benefit of the doubt had he made the item as posted at least, but this is bull**bleep**.

Marking an item as posted means nothing.

I've had sellers mark items as posted when they haven't been, and I have received items that were never marked as posted.It is nothing more than an admin process on the seller's behalf, despite the fact that it is supposed to indicate order progress to the buyer, and some use it erroneously, others use it exactly as you would expect, still yet others don't use it at all. 

That means deciding what is and isn't "bull**bleep**" on the basis of a little box being coloured in, is problematic at best.

Message 16 of 152
Latest reply

I accidentally click your answer as solution.

Anyways, since you say eBay message can fail to deliver messages you say? Something which I have never experienced before.

I'm going to open a dispute now, I'll see if the seller will contact me now.
Message 17 of 152
Latest reply

Paypal disputed opened, seller now have two channels to communicate with me.

Message 18 of 152
Latest reply

I'm sorry that is just so unfair - the seller will now get a defect - what for?  just because he didn't answer a message that we are not sure he got

Postage time clearly says that you will not receive your item until about 11 March - today is the 5th March.   What is the dispute for?

Message 19 of 152
Latest reply

Paypal disputed opened, seller now have two channels to communicate with me.

Wow, that is some pretty unbelievable behaviour.

I hope no one ever treats you like that - a dispute is not - in any way, shape or form, there to demand attention from a seller, it is there to resolve a real problem, like the seller never sending your item in the first place (I mean at all, ever, not just cos you don't know if they have after a couple of days). 

Not only is this the sort of thing that could get your PayPal account flagged, but you have now just become the kind of buyer horror stories get told about. 😞

Message 20 of 152
Latest reply