Acronyms used on eBay and on these boards

It’s come up a few times on these boards - the issue of commonly-used acronyms on eBay and in discussions here. I’m posting this thread as a quick reference and something to which we can refer people who aren’t aware of those acronyms.

Please add acronyms or terms as needed. I’ll be pinning this thread (but of course it will only be pinned for me, not for others). Anyone interested should be able to bookmark it, though, and you can always copy it into a macro for quick posting.

Abbreviations on eBay and on these Community Boards – Quick Reference. 

OP = original poster (or opening post) of a new thread.

MBG = eBay’s Money Back Guarantee

INR = Item Not Received

SNAD or INAD = Significantly Not As Described / Item Not As Described (both of which mean essentially the same thing)

EDD = Estimated Delivery Date (date by which eBay estimates the buyer will receive their item)

EDR / EDDR = Estimated Delivery Range / Estimated Delivery Date Range

ETA = Estimated Tine of Arrival (often more correctly replaced on eBay with EDD)

COM = Change of Mind

BR = Buyer’s Remorse

COP = Cash on Pickup

BIN = Buy It Now

BBL = Blocked Bidder/Buyer List 

NPB = Non Paying Bidder/Buyer

That’s a start. I’m sure I’ve missed quite a few…

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Great post. Sadly, it will fall into the ether quickly. It always bothers me when regulars use acronyms for new visitors that are here to get advice, especially 0 or low feedback members. They aren't going to know what they mean and will probably just think, answer too hard, I'll try elsewhere. 

Also, when someone says they joined ebay last week, and they now have this issue, and they get told they should have read the 5,896 help pages so they know how ebay works. Isn't that what these forums are for? To help people?

I can't think of any other acronyms at the moment, but it is 1am. I'm sure others will think of some.

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

Spot on.

I was surprised at how long that list is.

I know when I first started reading these boards, I didn't have a clue what most of them stood for.

The thing is, even if you have been on ebay for years, if you have never had any trouble, you will never have had to learn any of them.

While the regulars here might know them all, and it is a right royal pain in the behind to have to spell things out in full sometimes, we have to consider the audience.

PS Mind you, I am as guilty as anyone else of using acronyms at times.

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply