Advertised for $7 - charged $999 AFTER checking out

I had selected a product 2x lithium batteries and placed it in my cart for a week. Changed quantity to 2 of the item, total product as per cart was $15 + free postage. Checked out using PayPal.

Checking my bank balance today I have been charged $1898.10!!! I was extremely confused and went back to the listing which has been updated to the price of $999 for 2x lithium batteries! (Double checked to ensure I didn’t buy 2 pallets worth for their price 😑)

Is this even possible to happen? Is it likely that the seller has been hacked? I have contacted the seller to advise not to post the item and to issue a refund ASAP as I won’t be buying two single batteries for $2k but no response, I have also lodged a PayPal claim.

Is there anything else I can do? And has anyone else experienced this?
Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

How awful and worrying, don't think you've been hacked, never heard of this happening before.
Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

At a guess I would say the batteries are out of stock and the seller increased the price so no-one would buy until they get more stock. 

Did you look at the listing price before purchasing the second battery?

Why oh why did you open a paypal dispute before checking here?  You may well lose it if it is not done properly.  If the seller posts an item with a tracking number you are done for.

Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

Definitely checked the price prior to purchasing the second battery set.

Would it be best to cancel the PayPal claim? It was lodged for incorrect pricing not an item not received etc. Tracking number has been provided by the seller but it isn’t yet logged with Australia Post so it doesn’t look like the seller has actually “sent” the item.
Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

do you have the check out email ???   if so check that if it showing 15.99 you are laughing with the pal pay claim.  or even the ebay comfirm buy one,

Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

You should have the option to view the listing as it was when you purchased.

Try that, too.

Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

NOOOOOO!!!!   Do not cancel the dispute....it cannot be reopened.

I did not know there was an option for a dispute for incorrect pricing.

Can you post the item number so we can see what is happening with the listing.

Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

This one Lyndal  

Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

@michellebartley wrote:

How awful and worrying, don't think you've been hacked, never heard of this happening before.

Yes it is Michelle. I've never heard of this kind of thing either. Very strange.

Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

That’s the one.
Message 10 of 21
Latest reply