Argyle Pink Diamond eBay Vendors from Thailand

There are several businesses located in Thailand operating on eBay that have multiple stores but are one and the same company. 

Quite often these vendors will offer to supply  certificates (at a cost) from a variety of diamond certifiers such as GIA, IGA, GIL , etc. The one I was corresponding with informed me that a GIA certificate could be supplied at a price in the hundreds of dollars but GIL Thailand at a fraction of the cost. 

Here's a real life quick summary:

eBay vendor from Thailand is offering a 0.20 carat, "VS" (VS1 or VS2?) ARGYLE pink natural diamond HTHP (high temperature high pressure - check the Internet to understand the process) "mined from the earth." You may pay extra for a certificate if you wish. 

If they're offering a diamond specifically described as above surely they HAVE THE PROOF that it is exactly as described? Surely that proof is a genuine certificate already in their possession? Otherwise, how could they so accurately describe it? Why should you need to purchase a certificate? They should be supplying a certificate to confirm that they've honestly and accurately described the item they're selling to you. 

Bottom line: Buyer beware. If a vendor doesn't thoroughly answer all your questions, be suspicious. If a vendor inadequately answers your questions, be very suspicious. If a vendor doesn't respond in a timely manner, beware of them.  And if a vendor doesn't pass what I call the "logical sniff test," I'd recommend that you avoid them like the plague. 

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Argyle Pink Diamond eBay Vendors from Thailand

Thank you.

Yes I do comprehend what you are saying.

Dave & I are "wrong".

I wish you every success in your crusade to warn people about buying an "oink diamond".

Message 21 of 27
Latest reply

Actually no problem at all.

I'm not in the market for a pink diamond - well - any diamonds - I have enough. lol

Message 22 of 27
Latest reply

"It'd be more a case of a genuine buyer buying on a risky platform." Yes, I know. That's why I made that statement. 🙂

Great post! Thanks. I agree with everything you've said. 

Argyle pink diamonds are very complicated to the novice. There's an unique Argyle grading scale from 1-10, colors pp, p and pr. The prices range from under $100.00 to millions of dollars depending on the carats, cut, color and clarity. An Argyle pink diamond that's over 0.20 carats (1/5 of a carat) is considered large. The unscrupulous overseas dealers are preying on people who want a pink diamond but really can't afford one. They're charging $100- to 100s of dollars, generally, not thousands. Quite often, the problem is with misrepresenting the depth of color which makes a massive difference when buying a pink diamond. Usually, the size and weight and clarity is accurate. But people can end up forking over hundreds for a tiny highly included diamond with an almost indiscernible pink hue. Or, in other words, a "9" on the Argyle scale (nearly white) which looks like a "5" due to the way it's photographed or videotaped. Again, all I'm saying is "Buyer beware," ask the right questions and if it doesn't add up resist the temptation to make a purchase.

Message 23 of 27
Latest reply

Who said I don't like factual replies? You. Do you like factual replies? You're not telling me anything I don't know. And you're admitting the "regulars" all know all the information you're relaying. So, what's your main problem? I'm not disagreeing with what you've said in the sermon to the converted, as it were?

Let me make this crystal clear for you. My posts here are obviously not aimed at the "regulars" or the "savvy" eBay users; rather, at the newcomers and the gullible. It's an attempt to help them not lose money. Am I saying I'll be ultra-successful? No. Am I saying it's worth a try, because it just may save a few people losing money? Am I saying that, despite the overwhelming evidence that many eBayers just don't care, I've given up on them as hopeless cases? Certainly not!

Yes. Do I think the "regulars" cross-mark each others posts as a matter of course? Yes. I do. And that's my opinion, and it's based on experience and...er... you're not going to change it. Btw, with the greatest respect, you don't know for a fact if the posts are being cross-marked by the "regulars," or not. And it appears you've assumed I think it's a "conspiracy." Lol It's not. It's quite normal for that to happen on message boards. If it wasn't happening I'd be astonished, because it's normal human behavior. Have a great day! 🙂

Message 24 of 27
Latest reply

Lol Don't worry, I'm sure you'll soon find another "crusader" to cross swords with. Perhaps you and dave aren't wrong, because pointing out a typographical error surely cements your case? 😉 

Have a great weekend! 

Message 25 of 27
Latest reply

All I can say is, "Half your luck!" 🙂

Message 26 of 27
Latest reply

Thanks everyone, since this thread has gone completely off topic and there are numerous hostile and off topic responses, this thread is closed.

Message 27 of 27
Latest reply