Asking a Seller a question - no reply

I've sent a query to a seller a few days ago and so far have had no response so now I/m wondering whether to wait a few more days or resend the message.

Is there any rules or etiquette about this?

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

As long as the messages are polite, I don't see a problem if you have only sent one other

Not everyone is on the computer as often as others

There have been lots of glitches so they may not have had an email notification they have an ebay message,or it may be delayed 

Depending on what the question was abut/in realation to, the seller themselves may not even know, and theymay have had to find out the answer to give to you 

They may be caught up with school holidays

Or of course maybe they just 'can't be bothered'

Could be many different reasons

Personally, I would send one more message and if I don't hear anything,I'd buy elsewhere

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

I usually think of others as having a life (unlike me, I know it's pretty sad) and perhaps only on their computer 2-3 times a week.

Therefore I wait around 3 days before sending another message.

No really, I have a great life. Always find something to do.

So many experiences, so little time.

Smiley Very Happy

image host
Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

And just double-check the listing - the seller might have put a note on it saying they  are away

Because of school holidays, I would allow a couple of days

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

What the others said.

I don't know that there is any particular etiquette or rule, but if you haven't received an answer in a day or so, resend a polite message.

But.. what you do if there is no answer depends a bit on what the question was.

If it was just a very general query, you might be prepared to go through with a bid if you really, really want it, but if the question was something specific, maybe asking about the condition of the item or if parts were fully functional or whatever, & you get no reply, then definitely don't bid.

The seller may just be away for a couple of days but it's just as possible it is someone who doesn't want to commit to anything in writing (in which case beware) or else is just slack, which is a worry too.

On the whole-no reply, no buy is my motto.

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

It's a BIN item, overseas seller (UK and they are generally quick to reply in my experience) and it's a postage anomaly between what the seller has put for additional items and what looks like an eBay discount on additional items.  The cost difference is low and I would be happy to pay the seller's price but it comes up with the eBay one in the cart.  The seller might not have noticed the issue or maybe doesn't care but if I pay at the lower amount and they weren't aware of it, it could look like I am somehow shortchanging them.

No word from the seller yet so (unless the item has been sold - haven't checked yet) I will resend the message.  It is such a good deal that there is no equivalent from an alternative seller.

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

When I started on ebay there used to be a suggestion to wait up to 48 hours for a reply from a seller, especially an overseas seller.

I have rarely waited that long but was always conscious of the suggestion, especially during holiday periods.

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

I've decided to contact the seller again and attach a screenshot with the postage issues circled.  Hopefully that will do the trick.

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

Or....they will not agree with what you call 'issues' and ignore you again.

Perhaps this time blocking you.

And sometimes life just gets in the way when you're a seller.   Checking in is not

a high priority for some when more important things happen.

Especially if they are a sometimes seller.

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

Or....they will not agree with what you call 'issues' and ignore you again.

Perhaps this time blocking you.

And sometimes life just gets in the way when you're a seller.   Checking in is not

a high priority for some when more important things happen.

Especially if they are a sometimes seller.

I was once been blocked by a US seller for God knows what reason....I'd bought from her before and all went like clockwork and I gave her a 5 star rating.  Weird.  I've also had queries ignored by US and Oz sellers, but I've never had any such issues from UK sellers.  This would be a first.

This isn't a sometime seller. I'd say it's an eBay business judging by the volume of stuff listed.  Oh well.  You win some you lose some.  I'll just have to spend more to get the same thing.

It's like the US sellers and the GSP.  I've watched an item I wouldn't mind buying (but don't want to pay $40 postage for as it's perfect to go to Oz by USPS 1st Class Int) come up for auction 3 times.  It's still not sold.  I've asked but it's GSP or nothing.  Guess it's nothing then.

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply